No announcement yet.

[RELEASE] Usenet Gateway for vB 2.01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what's the preferred news feed source for use with this hack?

Comment

Originally posted by v0n
      I'm still trying to work out solution to posts being loaded with threadid 0 and bodies not showing up under threads ( I know it's boring). By now I tried three perl versions on two machines with same effect.
      Yet I know it worked, I had it running till last rc of vbb2.0. Then on some point it just stopped. Even if i do a fresh install of vbb 2.0.1 and install snapshots from my data the usenet posts still get inserted with thread = 0. There must be some method to this madness.
      Is there any possiblity that this bug is caused not by perl version or DBI DBD modules but by database structure? Maybe my base vbb is missing something, some index or row? Is there any tool to compare structure with original vbb setup?
      It's not the database structure. As you know the problem is that the mysql_insertid() function is not returning a threadid, postid or whatever id it asks for. The problem could be either in Perl, MySQL, or most likely, a combination of both due to a version mismatch.

The reason it seemed to suddenly 'stop' working is that previous versions of the script checked to see if the id was NULL and if it was, it would re-query the table to find it. This was only in place until we determined what the problem was with mysql_insertid. It added a lot of overhead and made the script almost unusable when the function wasn't working.

I have the latest version of MySQL, Perl 5.0053 and the latest version of the modules. This works.
      http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

Mine was failing with:

---

Query failed:
        INSERT LOW_PRIORITY INTO post (title,allowsmilie,threadid,dateline,nntpdateline,pagetext,visible,msgid,ord,username,user id,nntpfrom,ipaddress,isusenetpost) VALUES ('wanted',1,,995388228,945544816,'Need somebody to clean apartment.\n\[email protected]\n','1','<[email protected]>',' 0','C. Gardner',0,'&quot;C. Gardner&quot; &lt;[email protected]&gt;',0,1)

DBD::mysql::db do failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax near '995388228,945544816,'Need somebody to clean apartment.\n\[email protected]\n','' at line 1 [for statement ``SELECT a.nntpposter, a.forum, a.msgid, a.dtm, a.subject, a.poster, a.email, a.body, a.ord, a.threadid, a.postid FROM usenet_article AS a LEFT OUTER JOIN post AS b on (a.msgid=b.msgid) WHERE a.forum = 26 AND b.msgid is null AND (refs = '' OR refs is NULL OR refs = '(none)') AND LEFT(subject,3) <> 'Re:' ORDER BY dtm'']) at ./newnews.pl line 594, <SOCK1> line 11165.

---

This was with DBI v1.16 and MySQL module v1.21xx

Note that threadid was nonexistant (which is the error in the query).

Now it is working perfectly with:

MySQL v 3.23.36
        Perl 5.6.1
        DBI v1.18
        MySQL module from Msql-Mysqjl-Modules v1.2216
        Last edited by Shaman; Tue 17th Jul '01, 10:05am.
        http://racing.kos.net
        http://www.rumour.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fastforward
          I have the latest version of MySQL, Perl 5.0053 and the latest version of the modules. This works.
          Separate installation of 5.0053 saved the day. Strangely enough when modules were installed from MCPAN -shell it behaved just like before. Reinstalled again with all modules (especially DBD-mysql-2.0902) compiled "by hand" and posts have threadid again.
          I'm still having a bit of a problem with indexing (maybe due to posts indexed before, I will see tomorrow with indexing on fresh posts).

fastforward - let God reward you with Mercedes Benz for this mod.
          v0n the SatCritic

Comment

Originally posted by v0n
            fastforward - let God reward you with Mercedes Benz for this mod.
            Yeasss... A 500SL convertible would do nicely thank you

That reminds me of a great signature I saw on usenet:
            There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among them is the Mercedes-Benz 380SL convertible.

Comment

all is working

Yes, all is working.

Thanks all for your help. Yip, FF you deserve your Merc.
              Now only my DNS woes!

Comment

Originally posted by captnroger
                So what's the preferred news feed source for use with this hack?
                Well, that depends on you. Make a search on google or so for free newsserver.
                Ueli

Comment

usenetserver.com seem good. Haven't had much experience with them, but they seem professional and cheap.

Comment

I have missing posts in the thread (from Usenet). Is this also related to the version problem?
                    Ueli

Comment

I think that it is definitely possible. It's one of the errors that clears when you upgrade away from a free server.

Comment

Groups with &quot;+&quot; Signs

This hack can't handle groups with "+" signs in the usenet group name. Any idea how to circumvent this problem? I've tried escaping it with a \, but no luck. I guess I'd need to alter the perl script, although there may be a better way. any ideas?

Comment

Re: Groups with &quot;+&quot; Signs

Originally posted by andy_C
                          This hack can't handle groups with "+" signs in the usenet group name. Any idea how to circumvent this problem? I've tried escaping it with a \, but no luck. I guess I'd need to alter the perl script, although there may be a better way. any ideas?
                          The trick is to add them manually via phpMyAdmin. I have a few groups with a + in them. It just means you can't edit them via the CP. It's on my 'todo' list... near the bottom

Comment

Thank you so much fastforward. Although it's difficult to say thanks, I'd like to do it. You've provided a great many of us with a fantastic tool (esp. for marketing etc) and I really appreciate it. I'll check out the "+" thing and hopefully it should work as beautifully as the rest of the script does.

Comment

hello,

one short question:

what does this error message mean:

Processing headers for article 154365... OK
                              NNTPERROR: 421 No next to retrieve.
                              Processing headers for article 154366... OK
                              Processing headers for article 154367... OK

it appears not often, but occasionally

thanx in advance, dioxin

Comment

Re: hello,

Originally posted by Dioxin
                                one short question:

what does this error message mean:

Processing headers for article 154365... OK
                                Processing headers for article 154366... OK
                                Processing headers for article 154367... OK

it appears not often, but occasionally

thanx in advance, dioxin
                                Basically, it just means the server said it had an article, but it turned out it didn't really have it after all.

The server rarely reports how many articles it has accurately. Nothing to worry about, it doesn't affect the completion of messages or anything.

It actually happens quite often with my news provider. You must have a reliable one. There seems to be no obvious way to supress the warnings I'm afraid.

Comment