[RELEASE] Usenet Gateway for vB 2.01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DarkReaper

ROFL. Flame me, kick me, torture me, I deserve it. Before the <?php... in newthread.php there was...guess what! 8/10/08...how the hell did that get there and what is it? lol!
    http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

• Question when reindexing search index on board via the control panel under update counters, does the usenet groups always get included or is there away to stop this from happening?
      Real Web Host

Comment

• Originally posted by webhost
        Question when reindexing search index on board via the control panel under update counters, does the usenet groups always get included or is there away to stop this from happening?
        Once the usenet posts are in your forum they are treated just like any other post.

Comment

• Question, when running the script it fetchs messages rather quickly, but it boggs down some when it starts finding replies. Is there any way to speed this up in the script?
          Real Web Host

Comment

• Missing post body

Hi FF and other hack users,

Hmm... special case me thinks..
            • I use multiple newsfeeds
            • The newsgroup in question has it's own footer message
            • the posting user uses show signature
            • signature and return email usenet data is present
            • spam filtering is not used outgoing

symptoms:
            the correct signature and footer message are shown in usenet newsgroup but the post text 'body' is missing. Any ideas.

Comment

• Something strange happens??

I have had this great hack working since spring.
              I upgraded to the latest version at last week and everything seems to be ok, but I cannot find new threads or replies from news server.
              This started last friday, when one user send me a mail and told me, that new threads doesn't show on news servers. Today I noticed, that even the replies dissapears somewhere.

When testing, console says:
              Connecting to news.kolumbus.fi... Connected
              Posting message by mphelsinki to sfnet.test... Sent

Pulling sfnet.test... No new messages.
              Clean disconnection from news.kolumbus.fi

What could be wrong ?

-Joop

Comment

• I don't know if this has been covered before but i have the following problem:

When using new thread, my threads show up fine on the newsserver, but when using reply or quote, nothing gets send

newnews.pl doesn't give any errors

any ideas?
                Windows: ctrl+alt+del

Comment

• A question or two, please?

I have some questions:
                  1. The expiration routines. How do they work? Under what criteria do they expire threads ?
                  2. Should usenet posts be threaded into forums of the same name for easy segmentation? (like COMP.OS.LINUX.SETUP)
                  3. If I start a thread in one of the segregated usenet groups, will it thread it out to the named usenet group for reply ??

Thanks!
                  http://www.bitbenderforums.com/image.../bbf_topic.gif
                  IRC Chat bitbenderforums.com:6667

Comment

• Please help...

I just installed the usenet hack... had to wait 2 days for the host to install all the modules, but everything seems to be in order now! I just newnews.pl for the first time... the message gathering went smoothly. At the end of fetching the first 500 messages, it started to process the batch. From here, this is what is shown in telnet:

-> processing article batch...
                    -> requested 500 messages... 0 not available or rejected
                    -> inserting new threads from rec.games.pinball
                    -> inserted 166 threads
                    -> finding replies...

Query failed:
                    TRUNCATE TABLE usenet_article_loader

DBD::mysql::db do failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'TABLE usenet_article_loader' at line 1 at newnews.pl line 741, <SOCK1> chunk 21940.
                    Any ideas? Is this bad? All the tables have been created. I can see the 166 threads it inserted, but none have replies. Before I grab the next batch of 500, I'd like to know what to do. The site is at http://www.vpforums.com but I have the Usenet groups hidden (shown only to admins) while I'm setting them up. Any help would be appreciated.
                    `,,`,,`
                    AJ
                    AJ's VPinMAME Table Downloads
                    Visual Pinball Forums
                    `,,`,,`

Comment

• Can anyone help with my problem above please...
                      `,,`,,`
                      AJ
                      Visual Pinball Forums
                      `,,`,,`

Comment

• Well, I have figured it out a little bit...

The problem I have above is with the 'TRUNCATE' MySQL command. If I try and run the command 'TRUNCATE TABLE usenet_article_loader' it comes back with a MySQL error. Is this a valid command for MySQL? If so, what version of MySQL supports it? I've been to the MySQL manual website and from what I understand, TRUNCATE basically drops and re-creates a table wiping out all data in that table but keeping the table structure. It's supposed to be more efficient than deleting each record individually.

My question is since the 'TRUNCATE TABLE usenet_article_loader' doesn't work on my server(s) that I've tested it on, will the 'DELETE FROM usenet_article_loader' do the same thing? Can I change the queries in the newnews.pl file from TRUNCATE TABLE' to 'DELETE FROM' ??

Right now what I'm doing is I remmed out the 'TRUNCATE TABLE' command from the newnews.pl file so it doesn't error out when running from the telnet command. After each group of messages is received (500 at a time), I'm going into phpMyAdmin and Emptying the usenet_article_loader table, then running the next batch of 500.

Also one other question... when the newnews.pl file gets run, I have set it to pull articles with less than 100 lines for right now. How long should it be taking to pull 500 messages? It seems REALLY slow (15 seconds/article). I use mammothnews.net and in my Agent Newsreader, it pulls 1500 article headers in about 20 seconds! So I know it's not the mammoth server. It did run a lot faster on Friday when I first got the TRUNCATE error (2 seconds/article). I have 11,000 articles to pull and it will take a really long time to get my news up to date!

Any help is appreciated...I would like to get this hack working completely and running on my site.
                        Last edited by AJR; Tue 18th Sep '01, 2:02pm.
                        `,,`,,`
                        AJ
                        Visual Pinball Forums
                        `,,`,,`

Comment

• You can replace TRUNCATE with DELETE. There won't be any problems (except slight speed impact).

As for the speed of articles being pulled; you should be getting between 1 and 3 articles per second. If you are sure it's not your news server, then it's probably something to do with the combinations of version of Perl and the modules. Not much you can do if you don't have full control over which versions you can install.

Comment

• SPAM control

Hi,
                            I have just installed this great hack; after waiting many months for my host to switch me to my own server, and then install the modules!

Seems to work fine. I just have a couple of questions:

1) Spam control. Is it possible to only retrieve messages if they contain a certain word? How would I do this?

2) I have noticed that dbforums and other sites running this hack have the section of the vbulletin home page layout differently to other sections - ie. no moderators and differnt styles. How do you do this. Please could you just point me in the right direction!

Great hack - you should have charged

Kim

Comment

• KimG... I'm working on changing the layout for my usenet group forums to be different than the normal forums. You have to add a new Style and Template set (I called them 'usenet'). Then change the style to use the 'usenet' templates. Then modify the forums to use the 'usenet' style. Hope this helps!
                              `,,`,,`
                              AJ
                              Visual Pinball Forums
                              `,,`,,`

Comment

• Originally posted by AJR
                                KimG... I'm working on changing the layout for my usenet group forums to be different than the normal forums. You have to add a new Style and Template set (I called them 'usenet'). Then change the style to use the 'usenet' templates. Then modify the forums to use the 'usenet' style. Hope this helps!
                                Thanks - would that alter the way that the newsgroups are displayed on the main forums page though. I just want a section at the bottom of my forums homepage (index.php) which list the newsgroups, maybe without the moderator columns etc.

Comment