Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe my last question of the day...user access

Thanks for the last answer,

now one more (maybe my last one for today) and TIA again...

My last (hopefully) question pertains to user access

I have 8 forums displayed and 6 user groups.

Say I want user group 1 (which has say, 5 members) to have access to 3 out of the 8 forums. If they click on the wrong forum, is there a way to have a message displayed saying they dont have access to that forum and redirect them back to the main forum.

how can I do this?

I have edited their access masks individually (yes and no) to the forums they have/not have access to, and yet they still can view or post...

Help ^_^
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

you can set which forums each user group can view. Under user groups and permissions.. go to modify forums.. then select the forum .. modify the usergroup setting for that forum and you can completely block it from their view.

you can just modify the settings for the category hosting the forums.. then they can't see any of them and ur only modifying one set.

Comment

I believe any forums they don't have permission to see wouldn't even show up in their forumdisplay. Ergo, there would be nothing for them to click on.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I guess, let me explain a bit more...

I have 8 forums and I want them all to be visible on the main forum page, no matter who they are.

User group A needs access only to Forums 1-3
        If a person from user group A clicks on link to Forum 4, they "should" get a message saying they dont have access to that forum and to go back to the main forum page.

I have 5 members in User Group A. I have used access masks on these 5 so they can access forums 1-3 (yes) and not access forums 4-8 (no)

In user Group A - how do I make it so that they have access ONLY to forums 1-3?

I've tried also modifying forum but if i make it "private" it disallows access to all in Group A.

What combination works?
        There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

vB doesn't work that way. You'd need a hack to do what you want.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowTech
            you can set which forums each user group can view. Under user groups and permissions.. go to modify forums.. then select the forum .. modify the usergroup setting for that forum and you can completely block it from their view.

you can just modify the settings for the category hosting the forums.. then they can't see any of them and ur only modifying one set.

Under where in User group (editing) that I can assign the forums they have access to?

Under viewing permissions, the only permission with yes and now is "view board" yes and no. If you pick yes, they can view the the entire board. Pick no and they dont have access to any forum.

And under where in Modify for the forums can that be done as well? If i make it private it can only be seen by moderators and/or admins?

What combination do i need to make sure that the forums can be accessed by certain groups?

Also, do i need to put default settings on the individual files first?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X