Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRAND new to this - please be gentle

Hi all

I am really brand spanking new to all this, and I know I have much to learn. I am hoping someone can point me to some BASIC "getting started" info... I want to start slow, use the default template etc, and learn enough to start creating my own templates styles etc...

My 1st problem is that I have vbulletin installed (that went really easy, whew!) and I started to configure the board. I wanted to make the board inactive, so if someone stumbles on it now, they will see my "under construction" message

I set the radio button to "no" in the active? section, and saved changes. the main page still comes up. I tried going back to the control panel and seting it back to "yes" saving changes, and still, the board appears, no message.

Is this because I am logged in as an admin?

TIA;

NYI

Yes, it is because you're an admin

Comment

Thanks.
      Do you have any good places for me to start learning all this stuff?
      I am feeling a bit overwhelmed right now

Comment

Do you have any good places for me to start learning all this stuff?
        Without a doubt these forums are the best place to learn in my opinion.

Think of these forums as a Jelsoft knowledge Base in that nearly every question on how to do this and that has been answered at one time. Truly tones of info if you do a search on your query.

There is also the online manual - very good too

Comment

Originally posted by BobHope
          Jelsoft knowledge Base
          You know that wouldn't be a bad idea. Gather up the best stuff and create a knowledge base.

Something to think about for the future maybe.

Comment

My point is that the forums already act as a knowledge Base. All they take is a search or two as a proper knowledge Base system would.

What would be the point of creating duplicate information?

Comment

Thank you both
              I agree there is alot of info here, and I have solved a bunch of my own stupid beginner mistakes that way
              BUT there really isnt a "Templates for Dummies"section The threads I am reading are admittedly somewhat over my head in some cases....

I am messing around and learning trial by fire. This is good because I am learning, but I would absolutely love if there was a section in these forums like
              "VBulletin is installed...Now What?" LOL

Thanks again, and be sure I will be reading as much as I can.... I hate to be a pain by askign questions that have already been addressed....

Comment

Originally posted by BobHope
                All they take is a search or two as a proper knowledge Base system would.
                Search isn't exactly perfect. Not that a search system with a knowledge base would be, but at least we could assign certain keywords to topics.

Such as, for example, I was searching for a post that contained a link to MSDN (the Microsoft Developer Network) about rich-text controls. I tried searching for MSDN, I tried *msdn*, I tried msdn.microsoft.com*, everything. I never did find it - luckily a quick search through my browser's history found the MSDN page I was looking for. But in that case we could assign the keyword MSDN to it and save all the trouble of trying to remember if the person used http:// in front of it or not, etc.

Comment

Working...
                X