WebBBS Import?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WebBBS Import?

Are there any WebBBS import scripts out there?

I have had a look and nothing yet. Even thought about going via UBB but it seems infopop dont have a WebBBS importer either.

Is it a lot of hassle importing a flat file BB into the mysql tables?

I would think it is. allthough we have 17,000 messages on our board, we dont really want to lose that resource.

Regards
    Oliver

As far as I'm aware there isn't one at the moment (there certainly isn't an official one but I don't know about custom hacks made by other owners).
    You're right that it is a hassle importing from flat files to SQL - the UBB importer file is well over 1000 lines of code.

Comment

I would love a WebBBS importer. I have an old board I keep up as read-only for - well, let's just say historical purposes. It ran from late 1996 through June 1998 when I switched to UltimateBB.

My recent UltimateBB import ran smoothly, all in all, but one thing I did't think about was there were so many links within threads to other threads within the old UltimateBB message base that I have ended up keeping it online but turned off. People can read the threads which are linked to in imported messages but they can't reply or search or anything.

So right now I have, technically, 3 'boards' running! Luckily I'm a small 'niche' site so it's really not that big a deal.

I will say I was ready to continue to endure UltimateBB - the import feature was the determining factor. I will say this - UltimateBB ran flawlessly from June 1998 through this last August - including through several almost effortless upgrades - without so much as a burp. I'm not a database expert but I hope this software is as stable. It sure looks tough. My board is so small compared to what I've seen on sites running vBulletin that expect this will be the case. So far the only thing I really liked that vBulletin doesn't have is(was) an easy way to customize each individual forum. The users really like vBulletin, I will say that! And so do I. A lot more complicated than what I was used to but I'll eventually understand how everything fits together.

Comment

Hi all,

This might be of interest. I created a conversion script for WebBBS. You can find it at the url below.

Take care,
        Paul

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=41006

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X