Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIG MISTAKE! Please, need urgent help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG MISTAKE! Please, need urgent help...

I wanted to "clean out" my styles, templates, and replacement variables because there were so many templates and replacement variables that they got confusing when editing. So, I downloaded my two styles (called "basic" and "enhanced" - "enhanced" is what the board is supposed to look like the very first time someone comes to the board) and then proceded to delete all styles, templates and replacement variables. Of course, I got errors when deleting the last ones, which led to to knowing that what I was doing could have bad results.

Then, when I uploaded the two styles again and now they don't show up until a person is cooked and/or logged in. Otherwise, it just looks like this message board (which is a nice look, but hardly fits the theme of my site).

How do I get it back to where the "default" view of the board when not cookied or logged in is always my "enhanced" style?

Please help, this makes me feel very stupid...

Jason
    -Jason

Go into the default style and ensure it's pointing at the correct template/replacement sets.

And head over to the bugs forum -- there's a bug fix for a style related issue.

Comment

Thanks, but...

To make finding this error a little easier, I re-deleted all styles, templates, and replacement variables.

Then, I uploaded the style that I want to display as the default regardless if they are cookied or not. In the Styles category, it lists only one:

Enhanced [fonts/colors/etc] [properties] [download] [remove]
      In the properties of this, it points to "Default" for both Replacement set and Template Set.

When I view the Replacement variables, I see this:

Default [edit] [remove] [add custom replacement]
      and when I look in the Templates, I see this:
      Default [edit] [remove] [add template] [show all] [collapse groups]
      The templates and replacement variables are the way they are supposed to be, and even when I view the style with a text editor, I see this:

2.0.1|||Enhanced|||Default|||Default
      Still, my style won't use the specified replacement variable set and template set. My users are really getting confused about this...

Once they log in, everything is fine and it uses the style/templates/replacement variables that it is supposed to, but not uintil it sets to cookie. People sure are getting the wrong idea about my site!

And head over to the bugs forum -- there's a bug fix for a style related issue.
      Not to be ignorant, but which fix are you talking about? Can you give a URL?

Thanks for your help!

Jason
      Last edited by jdebler; Mon 25 Jun '01, 3:10pm.
      -Jason

Comment

Hmm... so basically you're saying you don't have a styleid = 1 anymore (normally called "Default"). You shouldn't be able to kill that (style)id via the CP, so did you remove it directly from the database?

As for the bug fix, actually I don't think it'll effect you. But nonetheless: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=19272

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
          Hmm... so basically you're saying you don't have a styleid = 1 anymore (normally called "Default").
          Correct. This could be because I thought it would be easier to remember which was which so I renamed the original "Default" style to "Enhanced" when we first got the board up and running.

You shouldn't be able to kill that (style)id via the CP, so did you remove it directly from the database?
          It did indeed let me remove all the styles (and templates and replacement variables) through the control panel (I did get an error when deleting a couple, that's when I knew I did something I shouldn't have). I never actually logged into the server and manually deleted anything. I thought that uploading the styles would fix all. It sorta did. When people are logged in, it is normal and looks the way it is intended. When coming to the board without their cookies set, it gets a little weird and doesn't use the styles at all.

So bascially, if I am following correctly, I need to fix some part of the board so that it points to a specific style when not cookied (In this case, what I had changed the original "Default" style to).

Is this a simple fix involving a style id = 1 variable?

You guys have an incredible software package, but maybe you need to make it more idiot-proof!!

As for the bug fix, actually I don't think it'll effect you. But nonetheless: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=19272
          Thanks Ed. I'll look that over anyway, and thanks for all of your help!

Jason
          -Jason

Comment

Arrrgh!!

This is killing me. We tried a bunch of things, and still can't get it to work correctly.

How bad did I mess things up?

Jason
            -Jason

Comment

It did indeed let me remove all the styles (and templates and replacement variables) through the control panel (I did get an error when deleting a couple, that's when I knew I did something I shouldn't have).
              I highly highly doubt you're running anything near 2.0.0 then -- some old old betas allowed it, but we haven't for awhile.

But run this query:

INSERT INTO style VALUES (1, 1, 1, 'Default', 1);

Then make sure it's pointing at the correct template/replacement sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
                I highly highly doubt you're running anything near 2.0.0 then -- some old old betas allowed it, but we haven't for awhile.
                Actually, we are running 2.0.1.
                http://turbobuick.com/forums/index.php

But run this query:
                INSERT INTO style VALUES (1, 1, 1, 'Default', 1);
                Then make sure it's pointing at the correct template/replacement sets.
                We'll give that a try and let you know what happens.

We really appreciate your help!!

Jason
                -Jason

Comment

Working...
                X