Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I turn off POST SUBJECT?

How do I turn off POST SUBJECT?
    Last edited by Rare; Fri 22 Jun '01, 8:35pm.

Remove:

Code:
    <tr>
    	<td bgcolor="{ secondaltcolor}"><normalfont><b>Post subject:</b></normalfont></td>
    	<td bgcolor="{ secondaltcolor}"><normalfont><input type="text" class="bginput" name="title" value="$title" size="40" maxlength="85" tabindex="1"></normalfont> <smallfont>(Optional)</smallfont></td>
    </tr>
    from the newreply template (added a few spaces for replacement variables).

And $post[title] from the postbit template.

Comment

thanks... it helps a lot!

Comment

What is the use of this 'subject' field?

Yes,

I always thought this 'post subject'-field was a bit strange.
        Ok, when you post a NEW thread, it's obvious that you need this field, but:

- What IS the reason that this field can be filled in AGAIN when you post a REPLY to a posting? It has no real use, if you'd ask me.
        I also think that it is a bit confusing for users who have never used Vb before.

Maybe it is a good idea to pull this 'post subject' OUT of the Form - when you post a reply- in future releases?

Grover.

--> posted this in the 'suggestions' forum also.
        How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

Not to sound rude but if you don't want it there you know where the templates are. I think people prefer it in general and it *is* optional, after all.

Comment

You don't sound rude...

I guess you're right about your comment concerning the templates and... yeah: it IS optional.

Only, I don't actually think that people prefer it in general. I don't see the use of this field in a Reply-Form. You already HAVE a subjectline.

It's not a BIG deal ofcourse, but i've noticed that people actually find it sometimes confusing what to do with this field when they post a reply. (maybe it has something to do with my users ALL being Dutch? .........

Only when people never used a Vb before...the question can occur what to do with this field.
            It is just a bit more intuitive when this field doesn't come back in a reply-Form. Dare I say......: 'look for example at UBB'?........

- In Ubb the 'subject'-field doesn't come back in the reply-Form.
            - In Yabb (for example) it DOES come back in the reply-Form: it puts the subject-description in this field, with the addition of 'Re:', so you get: 'Re: whateversubjectdescription'. AND you CAN change this field if you want. But people will hardly ever change it, I guess. (looks like:
            http://yabb.xnull.com/cgi-bin/commun...&num=993059916).
            At least, Vb DOESN'T put the value of the subject-field back into the subject-field of the reply-form, so you don't get the same subject-text in every posting, as with Yabb.

It is indeed optional, but it has no use in a reply-form in IMHO, so why just not take it out of there?

(hope I don't sound rude either...

Thanks for all the great help you are given on Vb!
            Grover.

(ok, i will not reply on this thread further....i've copied it to the 'suggestions-thread').
            Last edited by Grover; Sat 23 Jun '01, 1:08am.

Comment

Ah but it does

Ah but vB does auto-fill in when you quote a post with a subject line.

(try quoting my message)

<-- 3000th post! 3000th post! 3000th post! <--
              Last edited by tubedogg; Sat 23 Jun '01, 1:26am.

Comment

test. ;-)
                Last edited by Grover; Sat 23 Jun '01, 1:22am.

Comment

Re: Ah but it does

Originally posted by tubedogg
                  Ah but vB does auto-fill in when you quote a post with a subject line.

(try quoting my message)
                  ok, again...testing.

Ah I see. Again i've learned something about Vb. Hmmm....so... I will put my reply on this on the 'suggestions' forum.
                  Grover.
                  Last edited by Grover; Sat 23 Jun '01, 1:29am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X