Netscape 4.7 users unable to login..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netscape 4.7 users unable to login..

I've completed a successful clean install of the vbb 2.0 on a *nix server, and imported information from a ubb 5.xx.

Everything is working great so far, HOWEVER,

netscape 4.7 (and possibly other ns users?) are unable to login to the forums. The error I get is "Document Contains No Data". The user is unable to login from the main page, or from the profile page.

I am running the latest versions of php and mysql.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

What's the URL? I have NS 4.72 and can check it out.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Just as an update .... I changed the form method to GET instead of POST, and it works.

Any clues why this would make a difference?

Comment

I just checked it with NS and as you noted it now works. I have no idea where you made the change or why it would make a difference.

You do seem to be running some older veriosn of registration templates. You might want to upgrade to 2.0.1 and revert these to the originals.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

OK.

I've upgraded this vbb to version 2.0.1, and the reports that NS users are unable to login are still coming in. I've confirmed that this is happening myself with a version of NS 4.7

I made a change in the form tag of the login on the main page only so its now using GET instead of POST for the method.

Making this change DOES work, however, this is a fairly large bug as its affecting two seperate installations of the vbb I maintain, and I will now need to go through and change the form tags in all the places where users need to login unless there is another solution.

Any ideas anyone?

Comment

FWIW, I haven't had any Netscape problems on my vB 2.0.1 forum so I don't see how this qualifies as a 'bug' (i.e., reproducible and consistent erroneous behaviour.)

Did you revert your templates as I suggested? If that doesn't do it then I suspect there's something unique about the server that you are on that is causing this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Yeah, this is occuring on some templates where I haven't even made any changes, so frustrating

Comment

I've heard that on some systems PHP runs as CGI. I'm not quite sure what this means, but maybe this would explain what's happening.

I'm afraid that you need help from someone a lot more knowledgable than me!
                Last edited by Steve Machol; Wed 20 Jun '01, 5:09pm.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I appreciate the suggestions Hopefully someone out there has hit up with this problem before and has found a fix too!

Comment