From vBLite to vBulletin 2.0 - How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From vBLite to vBulletin 2.0 - How?

On 6/18 or 19 I plan to install vBulletin 2.0 and I need to know the best way to clear the database. I have read several posts that seem to be related, but I am confused. I have installed phpMyAdmin and this is the screen I get:

Show MySQL runtime information [Documentation]
    Show MySQL system variables [Documentation]
    Show processes [Documentation]
    Reload MySQL [Documentation]
    phpMyAdmin-Homepage
    phpMyAdmin Documentation

I can also see my database on the left side: (with many others)

- my-database-name
    forum
    template
    thread

It isn't clear what to do with phpMyAdmin to prepare for a clean install.

Would it be better to use one of the options during the installation to clear the database? If so, which one?

Thanks, John

When you run the install file you will be give an option to clear the database before proceeding.

If you intend to import your messages from vB Lite after installing, you should not clear the database. Instead you should install 2.0 to another database and then run the importer after installation.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg

If you intend to import your messages from vB Lite after installing, you should not clear the database. Instead you should install 2.0 to another database and then run the importer after installation.
      Hi Kevin,
      we just purchased the leased license for Vbulletin and I'm just reading up on how to import posts from vB lite to the full version.

Just have one question about your comment above:

We are limited to one MySQL database on our account, so could we back-up the database to our local hard drive or another location on our server and then import the vb lite posts to the newly installed vBulletin?

Thanks!
      julie

Comment

Unfortunately it must be in a separate database due to duplicate table names. Possibly if you asked really nicely your host might allow you to have two databases while you are doing the import?

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply, Kevin. I'll give it a "pretty please" try.

julie

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Sorry to bother you again, but just talked to our host and we can create another database on our other domain name. My question is:

Would we be able to import vb lite posts from one domain to another?

Thanks

julie

Comment

You're not bothering me, that's what I'm here for.

I assume both of your domains are on the same host? If so that would work - you need to give both databases the same username and password for this to work. When you run the import script, it will ask you for the other database name.

Comment

Thanks, again! You've been very helpful I'll give it a try.

Comment

Let me know how it turns out, and if you need help, let me know.

Comment

Hi Kevin,

me again. I got our host to add on another database to the same gamenationtv.com server, so that made things easier. Everything went fine with the installation, but now when trying to import, I get the following error:

Invalid SQL: SELECT findword,replaceword FROM gntv.replacement
                      mysql error: Access denied for user: '[email protected]' to database 'gntv'

mysql error number: 1044

Do I have to ask my host to give me access from one database to the next? Or what's an easier way to resolve the problem?

Thanks for all your help

julie

Comment

It looks like your host either didn't set up the username/password for the new database, *or* they assigned a different username/password to it. I would email them and ask what the correct username/password is for the new database, if they have not already sent you that. If they have and it is different from your original database, ask them if they can change it to be the same as for your original database.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X