• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCRE support on Apache

Hi,

I installed v2 fine but am getting errors like this:

1. When I get vbulletin to send me a reminder-password I get:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: preg_replace() in /home/sites/site223/web/vb/admin/functions.php on line 1629

2. Elsewhere I get:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: preg_replace() in /home/sites/site223/web/vb/admin/functions.php on line 295

Does this seem like a PCRE problem - I can't find out exactly what version of PHP I have (know it's >3 on Linux Apache with recent MySQl, and am trying to get exact details ...)

TIA

Correct, you need to have PCRE extensions loaded in PHP (I think they were added in 3.0.9).

Comment

Thanks Ed for the prompt reply ...

I am being told that I have:

- PHP 4.04 pl1 (standard install)
      - MySQL 3.23

the test forum is at www.muinteoiri.com/vb in case you wanted to check it out. I hope it's nothing stupid I've done with the config ... I have not edited any files directly just via control panel ..

So any suggestions from here please?

TIA

P.S. I've just tried to do a post, and it's the same thing (Fatal error: Call to undefined function: preg_replace() etc.) so this prob seems to be central to effective functioning.
      Last edited by seaghan; Fri 15 Jun '01, 8:42am.

Comment

Just some more info that may help ...

I put a script together to show some of the factors (server variables and preg replace in particular) in the problem. This is the script:

<? phpinfo(); ?>

<?
        $test = 'this is the piece1 of text i am trying to change piece2';
        $pizza = "piece1|piece2|piece3|piece4|piece5|piece6";
        $test = ereg_replace($pizza,"*****",$test);
        echo $test;
        ?>

<?
        $test = 'this is the piece1 of text i am trying to change piece2';
        $pizza = "piece1|piece2|piece3|piece4|piece5|piece6";
        $test = preg_replace($pizza,"*****",$test);
        echo $test;
        ?>

and to see the result (ie where preg_replace does not work), see here: http://www.muinteoiri.com/vb/preg.php

Hope this helps - TIA

Comment

Just found out some more info - (I've been searching for most of the day )

Perhaps there is a bug in PHP4.0.4 - I found this:
          > This only applies to PHP 4.0.4 > > Back with PHP 4.0.2, I could do this: > > <?PHP > $string = "[["; > $string = preg_replace("/(\W)/", "\\\\1", $string); > ?> > > $string would then contain "\[\[". > > Now, if I use that same code, $string contains "\\1\\1\\1\\1". > > I tried to compensate for this using PHP's new ability to allow > perl syntax in the replace section. > > <?PHP > $string = "[["; > $string = preg_replace("/(\W)/", "\\$1", $string); > ?> > > That leaves $string with "\$1\$1\$1\$1". Which tells me it thought > I was backreferencing the $. So, to combat said assumption, I tried > three, four, even five slashes in front of $1, and nothing worked. > All I got were variations of "\$1\$1\$1\$1". > > I have to assume this is a bug, since this worked back in 4.0.2 which > I stopped using due to segfaults under certain circumstances. > > Ideas?

It is indeed a bug - I fixed it in CVS version if you want to try that.

==================

So perhaps I should get my host to install the CVS version or latest version or what can you recommend?? Have you seen this problem before?

TIA

Comment

There's no bug -- you just don't have PCRE extensions compiled in:

'./configure' '--with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs' '--with-xml' '--without-pcre-regex' '--with-mysql=/root/mysql'
            You'll need to get those before your vBulletin will work correctly. (You're the first server I've ever seen without them).

Comment

Thanks Ed for your time,

I'll talk to the hosting Co.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X