restoring forums backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restoring forums backup

How do i install a recent backup of my DB ?? As i have moved to a new host.

There are many tutotials on this in these forums. 'Search' is a good thing!
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Search for what ?

Comment

How about 'restore database' as one possibility?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

Comment

How do i Telnet into my host ?

Comment

You will have to ask your host what the procedure for connecting to them via Telnet is.

Comment

*sigh*
                How many people actually try to search & look for manual?

Comment

Manuals kinda Crap..dont understand it....too complicated....loads of jargon

Comment

Originally posted by John1934
                    Manuals kinda Crap..dont understand it....too complicated....loads of jargon
                    {edited - I'm in a bad mood today!}
                    Last edited by Steve Machol; Wed 13th Jun '01, 9:35am.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by smachol

{edited - I'm in a bad mood today!}
                      Yeah, I understand. I can't believe someone is saying the manual is complecated..

So this is how Kier was feeling during beta.

Comment

Some1 Explain All this JARGON to me please in a clear simple manner....

This is a guide to moving your vBulletin database from one server to another.

Step One - Backup current database:

Telnet into your system
                        from the root directory, type mysqldump -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD databasename > /path/to/dump.sql
                        this should only take about than 30 seconds to a few minutes, depending on your database size
                        when it is completed, it will bring you back to the prompt
                        verify that you have a dump.sql in the /path/to area you specified
                        Step Two - Transfer to new server

telnet into machine1, and from the command prompt type the following:
                        machine1$ cd /path/to/yourbackupdirectory
                        machine1$ ftp machine2 (IP or host) - this should open a connection and ask for your username/password
                        ftp> bin
                        ftp> cd /path/to/newdirectory
                        ftp> put dump.sql (should take no more than 30 seconds to a few minutes, depending in the file size)
                        ftp> close
                        ftp> quit
                        verify dump.sql is in the /path/to/new area on the new server
                        Step Three - Install vBulletin on new server creating a dummy database (won't be used - you can delete later)

(I figure you know how to do that!)
                        Step Four - Restore to new server

telnet into machine
                        create new database on the mysql (either via phpMyAdmin or telnet)
                        from the root, type mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD newdbname < /path/to/dump.sql
                        this takes a couple of minutes depending on your database size, but you can track the progress either by FTP (checking the /mysql/data/newdbname and see the files appearing) or by phpMyAdmin (you should see the files appearing there)
                        Step Five - Bringing it back online

Go into your config.php and change the database name to the database name you created in Step 4.
                        upload config.php
                        Go into your admin/index.php and then click on "options" and change the URLs and verify the options and click "submit"

Comment

Step One - Backup current database:
                          Telnet into your system // you will need to login to your system via telnet. Your host can tell you exactly how they expect you to do it.
                          from the root directory, type mysqldump -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD databasename > /path/to/dump.sql // type this once you are logged in, replacing username, password, databasename, and /path/to/
                          this should only take about than 30 seconds to a few minutes, depending on your database size
                          verify that you have a dump.sql in the /path/to area you specified //

Step Two - Transfer to new server
                          telnet into machine1, and from the command prompt type the following: // same as in step 1, telnet into your system.
                          machine1$ cd /path/to/yourbackupdirectory // type the command (machine$ is a representation of your prompt)
                          machine1$ ftp machine2 (IP or host) - this should open a connection and ask for your username/password // same thing, type 'ftp' and then 'mydomain.com'
                          ftp> bin // again ftp> is the prompt, type what's after it
                          ftp> cd /path/to/newdirectory // same thing, type in a path to the new directory you are putting the dump file in
                          ftp> put dump.sql // type the command
                          ftp> close // type the command
                          ftp> quit // type the command
                          verify dump.sql is in the /path/to/new area on the new server // make sure the file is on your server
                          Step Three - Install vBulletin on new server creating a dummy // create a new database and install vBulletin as you would do for a clean install

Step Four - Restore to new server
                          telnet into machine // telnet into the second machine
                          create new database on the mysql (either via phpMyAdmin or telnet) // create a second new database
                          from the root, type
                          mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD newdbname < /path/to/dump.sql // type this command
                          this takes a couple of minutes depending on your database size, but you can track the progress either by FTP (checking the /mysql/data/newdbname and see the files appearing) or by phpMyAdmin (you should see the files appearing there)

Step Five - Bringing it back online

Go into your config.php and change the database name to the database name you created in Step 4. // self-explanatory
                          upload config.php
                          Go into your Admin CP and then click on "options" and change the URLs and verify the options and click "submit" // self-explananatory

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X