Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• submit button problem

I tried to post this in bug reports, but it says I don't have permission

anyway, the problem is pretty random, but it is happening so frequently, that I don't think it's just a browser issue or random glitch.

I saw someone previously said "tell them to just use IE" - well I'm using IE and have experienced the problem multiple times. I would say 5/10 threads I try to reply to times out and it won't let me. Even after reloading the new reply and starting over I get the same issue, then I can go to another thread and post fine, but in THAT thread it will NOT let me post. VERY aggravating.

I've had a lot of users report this problem to me - there is a thread here:
    http://www.holemusic.com/soapbox/sho...threadid=58658
    you can login as guest/guest

I have pretty high traffic on my board, so maybe some boards aren't experiencing this as a problem, because it doesn't happen as frequently and goes unnoticed? I've actually had the problem when trying to post on this forum as well, so i KNOW it's not just me!

Another thing I have noticed that happens is that the email notification will be sent for the post, but the post never gets posted. I would say this is a pretty serious bug, I mean I have some users that have just given up and quit coming to my forums because of it - that is NOT cool!

oops, i posted this in the wrong forum, im really sorry.
    can someone move this to troubleshooting?

Comment

anyone?

Comment

Is there any common attributes with the threads you can't reply to? Lotsa posts? Long reply?

Comment

not that i can tell

Comment

Turn off the email features for a bit and see if that helps.

If that doesn't, try commenting out the line in newreply.php that starts with indexpost (add a // at the beginning).

Comment

I have the same problems

I have had the same problems with newreply.php timming out. I've had several complaints about this and I've experienced this myself.

I have also had several complaints about people getting multiple identical e-mails that XXX has replied to your post. I assume that when these reply pages are stalling and timing out that people keep hitting the reply button, and each time they do that, another e-mail gets sent out? Does this scenario make sense? What really sucks is that many people get these e-mails that someone has responded, they go to see the thread and there are no new post? I assume that the newreply.php page never actually posted the ad, it timed out?

I cant seem to put any common attributes with this problem. I know it seems to happen alot in a private forums for our moderators?

I will try your tips Ed, hope it helps. Thanks

Comment

This is a problem for my board as well.

Replying to a thread... newreply.php hangs and hangs and then eventually times out.

However it appears that users who have subscribed to the thread gets notification email of the attempted reply.

I have already re-uploaded the original newreply.php file and it seems nothing has changed.

I am using 2.2.6 and the board is www.xnations.com

Thanks in advance.
                Chris
                I'm currently using 3.6.4.

Comment

Note* this seems like a random problem from random users.

Previewing the post is no problem... ever. But hitting the submit causes the hang and eventual timeout.

Comment

This is most likely a mail server issue. It's probably hanging on the email notifications being sent out for that thread.

Note: Mail processing will be vastly imporved in vB 3.0.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I seriously doubt it Steve. All other mail functions associated with vbulletin and my server are working perfectly.

This is still a problem for me this morning, and from my searches in these forums a widespread one.

newreply.php hangs.. and hangs.. and then times out.

Please help...

Comment

I don't know why you would say that. The multiple email notifications that are sent out with replies are far more server intensive than a single email to one source.

If you've installed any hacks, try removing them and reuploading the original vB files. Other than that there's not more more you can do. This is in all probability a server issue.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Email Options
                          Enable Email features?
                          Enable email sending features: send to friend and email notification for posters and moderators. Don't forget to remove those links from the forumdisplay, newreply, newtopic, & editpost templates
                          I have this option set to YES.

But I do not understand what you mean by "Don't forget to remove those links from the forumdisplay, newreply, newtopic, & editpost templates"

Comment

I guess the.... "Don't forget to remove those links from the forumdisplay, newreply, newtopic, & editpost templates"

only applies when you have the email option set to NO ?

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Chris
                              I guess the.... "Don't forget to remove those links from the forumdisplay, newreply, newtopic, & editpost templates"

only applies when you have the email option set to NO ?
                              Yes, that's correct.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X