Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those that run Vbulletin on their own server.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for those that run Vbulletin on their own server.

I have a server running Win2000 with IIs. I have installed PHP and SQL and vbulletin seems to run ok. Im have e-mailing problems where I get a error everytime it tries to send a e-mail. Im guessing its a configuration error on the server. SMTP is running, but we use a relay to send mail. We also have 2 HD's, one with PHP on it and the other has the vbulletin software. Could this be a issue?

Thanks
    Jason

Jason,

This sounds like a PHP settings issue.

Refer to this thread:
    http://161.58.84.213/forum/showthrea...threadid=19579

John
    John Percival

Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity ;)

Comment

Followup to Jason

I am the admin for the box that Jason is referring to. I'm not a PHP expert, but have looked at the .ini file. In in there is an entry for the SMTP host, which we have set to localhost. We also tried the mailserver of our co-location provider - mail.protronics.com and neither entry worked. SMTP is running on the server, but it doesn't need to be if we use the other mailserver, all it's doing is relaying. With UBB, we had it set to mail.protronics.com with SMTP turned off on our server and it works fine.

I don't think having the vBulletin on D: and PHP on C: would cause any problems Jason. I think there's a config problem with PHP that I don't know about. Is there anywhere online that gives tips for PHP configuration on Win2K for vB?

Oh, and Jason's right. vB support is lacking in some ways. For instance, where is there a tutorial for template editing? There SHOULD be a user manual that describes what every variable does in your template. The trial and error method is very time consuming. Maybe there is such a doc online, but neither Jason or myself know about it.

We are desperate to get this and a couple other issues resolved by this weekend. We're planning to make the full migration to vBulletin.

Thanks,
      Ryan

Comment

Re: Followup to Jason

I am the admin for the box that Jason is referring to. I'm not a PHP expert, but have looked at the .ini file. In in there is an entry for the SMTP host, which we have set to localhost. We also tried the mailserver of our co-location provider - mail.protronics.com and neither entry worked. SMTP is running on the server, but it doesn't need to be if we use the other mailserver, all it's doing is relaying. With UBB, we had it set to mail.protronics.com with SMTP turned off on our server and it works fine.
        I am glad that you have got it working!

I don't think having the vBulletin on D: and PHP on C: would cause any problems Jason. I think there's a config problem with PHP that I don't know about. Is there anywhere online that gives tips for PHP configuration on Win2K for vB?
        There should be no problem with vBulletin and PHP on two separate drives. We do not have any tips for PHP configuration on Win2k for vB, but the PHP website, http://www.php.net/ , would probably be a good place to start.

Oh, and Jason's right. vB support is lacking in some ways. For instance, where is there a tutorial for template editing? There SHOULD be a user manual that describes what every variable does in your template. The trial and error method is very time consuming. Maybe there is such a doc online, but neither Jason or myself know about it.
        In the members area, there is a complete template reference available in Adobe Acrobat form. It contains everything about every template, although it does not go into explicit detail about the variables used.

Is there anything in particular about the templates that you are trying to change? We are always ready to help you in the 'How do I?' forums.

John
        John Percival

Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity ;)

Comment

Re: Re: Followup to Jason

Originally posted by John
          I am glad that you have got it working!
          Well, we had it working with UBB... not with vBulletin

There should be no problem with vBulletin and PHP on two separate drives. We do not have any tips for PHP configuration on Win2k for vB, but the PHP website, http://www.php.net/ , would probably be a good place to start.
          PHP is working, we can use the vBulletin forum... just a couple small configs that aren't working. php.net doesn't get into those things that are specific to vBulletin.

In the members area, there is a complete template reference available in Adobe Acrobat form. It contains everything about every template, although it does not go into explicit detail about the variables used.

Is there anything in particular about the templates that you are trying to change? We are always ready to help you in the 'How do I?' forums.
          Thanks, I just signed up today and haven't looked in the members area. I'll check that out before asking any questions about templates.

We still need to get our vBulletin e-mail working though

Comment

Re: Re: Followup to Jason

John,
            We did not get it working. We had it working with UBB, but with Vbulletin its still not working. Ryan was explaining how it worked with uBB.

Comment

Hey Jason, why don't you attach a copy of the servers php.ini file in here? Then maybe somebody can give us some tips. And I can look at it from work too

Comment

No answer yet

Still no answers...

Comment

I'd recommend setting up SMTP on localhost and see if that helps it, as I read a few issues with using non-localhost SMTP servers.

Comment

I figured out the e-mail issue, although it sends mail but I get a 30sec timeout error. Any clue why im getting that?

Thanks
                    Jason

Comment

Depends where it's timing out -- but you can turn up the max_execution_time (I think that's the option) in your php.ini.

Comment

I went in a turned it up. It just sits and then timeouts after so long. Although it does e-mail. It never says that it has sent mail and is returning to the forum, it just timeouts.

Comment

Working...
                        X