Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to accurately count hits?

Hi,

I was wondering, how can we accurately count hits? Since the site is database driven, we dont get many pageviews or at least thats what the counters tell me, but i get around 100,000 "hits" a day, but those hits are everything and anything including images and buttons etc. So how can we count how many pages are being viewed per day?

Best Regards,
    Ray

The most accurate way to measure page views would be to use some type of software to analize your web server log files.

Comment

I have such software but it reports I'm getting around 1,000 page views per day, when I know from my advert stats it's more like 10,000. So obviously logs are no good (for me).

Is there some software that could say include a tag in global.php which will accruately count every page view. As when people ask at the moment I can't give them a definite figure
      Motorsport Forums

Comment

It depends on the software you use... sometimes dynamically created pages are not counted, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber
          It depends on the software you use... sometimes dynamically created pages are not counted, etc...
          That certainly seem to be the case for me.

Thats why I would look for something to (say) have a function call in global.php which will log every page view on my forums.
          Motorsport Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hewitt
            Thats why I would look for something to (say) have a function call in global.php which will log every page view on my forums.
            That would be way too server intensive, especially for larger forums.... if anything it would have to be an option if that. I would recommend looking at using WebTrends or similar software to analyize your web server log files.

Comment

We use HTTP-Analyze to track our webstats. This reads the Apache log files and builds its database from them.

You can break your site up into sections to track different areas or merge multiple domains into one global record. We even reclassified avatar.php as an image so it isn't counted as pageviews anymore.

You can check it out at: http://www.netstore.de/Supply/http-analyze/
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

But surely something like Webtrends Live is foolproof. It counts a page view whenever the image loads. If it doesn't load then it isn't a page view. Seems logical and reliable to me. Is there something I don't know?

I mentioned in another post that I see a huge discrepency between my Webtrends stats and Urchin stats. Yesterday for example, Urchin reported 8869 pageviews and Webtrends reported 2751. I just assumed the difference was due to Urchin recording all the php pages that don't actually display, ie. avatar.php and global.php.
                http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

So what software should i use? Is there a code that I can put in the global.php file?

Thanks,

Ray

Comment

Working...
                  X