Forum Freeze-ups in IE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Freeze-ups in IE...

Well, this is not exactly a VB problem - it has more to do with the new layout I had for my site. I didn't know where to ask this questions so feel free to move my thread where it's supposed to go.

Anyway, here's my problem: A few of my forum users have reported that their browser freezes up everytime they try to access my forums. I have tested my forums in IE 5.5, IE 5.01, Netscape 4.75, Netscape 6.0 and opera 5.02 and it doesn't freeze for me at home ... so I thought it was just a software problem on their side of the fence

But I tried it with one computer at work using IE 5.01 and it DID freeze up ... upgraded to IE 5.5 on that computer and it still froze.

So I am thinking it has to do with my current layout ... it's just a simple conglomeraton of tables that piece together a nifty rounded interface. It works fine in most of my users' browsers, but I am alarmed that it freezes a few of em up - and I am considering using this interface for my main site.

Perhaps an HTML guru can let me know of a workaround to guarantee it will not freeze up any browsers. I really like the layout I made, and I wanna keep it, but I also want to keep my regular visitors...

Here is a link to the forums with the layout:

http://128.241.196.123/forums/index.php

Thanks in advance.
    OPEN TECH SUPPORT
    "Tech is our middle name!"

what operating system were all the computers that you tested it out on using that can factor in also.

and it doest freeze up for me and i am using ie 6.0 and windows 2k

nice layout also it looks awesome
    My FFXI Linkshell Website
    - http://www.stealthvertigo.com

Comment

All Win98

A couple of them were using Win98, both using IE 5.01 browsers ... the one I tested at work was running Win98SE on IE 5.5 ... it's really kinda unnerving when the actual problem doesn't make itself too evident for fixing

Glad you lked the forums I just wish my troubled users can see it
      OPEN TECH SUPPORT

Comment

well hey at least its only a few thats better then all sometimes you have to make sacrafices.

Comment

Tolitz,

I checked this out using Win98 with IE 5.01 and it worked just fine. Adn as I told you in another thread, your forum looks great!

By the way, I don't suppose you like to share your green buttons, would you?
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Sure man

I just modified it from the VB graphics kit in the Member Area, so you use it if you want (except maybe for the menu navigation on the left, coz it contains my site's logo).

Oh well ... I guess I'd just tell my troubled users to utilize another browser or somethin ... I sure hope the freeze-ups aren't a widespread problem, or else I'd be losing a lot of IE users...

* crosses fingers *
            OPEN TECH SUPPORT

Comment

Well I just went back to your site again and IE 5.01 crashed on me. No freeze-ups - just crashed.

Are you sure you aren't running some javascript or something else that might be a problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

have everyone who can get on fine reply to a ceartin post then you'll see how many people cant get on.

Comment

smachol, you're a genius...

It was my javascript mouseover that was causing my browser from work to freeze ... and most likely it is the one causing all the freezeups on my members' computers...

I removed it and the freeze-ups on my end stopped ... now I have to verify with my other troubled users if they can access it tonight.

Guess I would need to fool around with another way to get mouseoevers working on it. At least I know it is accessible somewhat. Thanks a million!
                  OPEN TECH SUPPORT

Comment

Glad it worked! I've run into a few compatibility problems with javascript in the past and thought it would be something to check.

You've still got a great looking site!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X