Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I check if e-mail addresses are valid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I check if e-mail addresses are valid?

Is there a way to check if the e-mail addresses in my vB User Accounts are valid e-mail addresses? When I use the Email Users feature it's possible that 50% of the e-mail address are not up to date. I'd like to remove all invalid e-mail address/user accounts but I don't know how to check.. Any suggestions?

There is no such function in vB. You would have to use a system tool that would send out these emails and automatically log the ones that get bounce notices. I don't know of any such tool though.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      There is no such function in vB. You would have to use a system tool that would send out these emails and automatically log the ones that get bounce notices. I don't know of any such tool though.
      I think I know what you mean. I happen to have Email Verify Express but forgot that I had it, lol. Actually I never used it, I'm not sure if it's a reliable tool, but I can give it a shot.

It will be quite some work though to remove each user one by one.

Comment

Originally posted by globalinsites View Post
        I think I know what you mean. I happen to have Email Verify Express but forgot that I had it, lol. Actually I never used it, I'm not sure if it's a reliable tool, but I can give it a shot.

It will be quite some work though to remove each user one by one.
        Could you just not enable the verification email?

Comment

Originally posted by TechInterest View Post
          The verification email is enabled, but the sites are online for about 4 years and people tend to change their e-mail addresses without updating their account.

Comment

You could use "vBouncer".
            You can find it here (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...light=vbouncer) for 2.3.x and it's not officialy supported by vBulletin.
            But I didn't experienced any problems using it .
            http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
            The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Creek View Post
              You could use "vBouncer".
              You can find it here (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...light=vbouncer) for 2.3.x and it's not officialy supported by vBulletin.
              But I didn't experienced any problems using it .
              I don't use sendmail anymore so I don't think I can use it. I'm not really sure if it does what I need either.

Comment

Originally posted by TechInterest View Post
                Isn't there a way to 'force' members to update the e-mail address in their account (with verification) before they can continue to use their account? I've seen it on other sites.

Comment

I don't know if it helps but.. vBouncer supports PHP mail AND POP3/IMAP.
                  http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
                  The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Creek View Post
                    I don't know if it helps but.. vBouncer supports PHP mail AND POP3/IMAP.
                    I don't know.. I have ProcMail on my server now as an alternative for SendMail.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                      Once I have a log of the ones that get bounce notices, would I have to remove them one by one or is there a faster way to do it? Removing them one by one would take about 5 months I think, LOL. It's not an option.

Comment

Nope - one by one is the only way.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X