Database backups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database backups

my webhost was moving servers... so i backed up my database into the .sql file.............. and I did it twice with in a matter of a day or two... now that the new server is ready for me... we moved, but the problem is both of the back ups have errors and wont let me restore them ????

if you wanted to try restoring it into a database ur self to see if it works... one of the backups is http://www.consoleboards.com/backup.sql

I have tried getting it to work.. and people from my webhost have tried on the 2 diff back up files.. but both have failed.....

I am hopping I dont have to start from scratch but, it looks as if though I will

the database is approx 5mb just so you know....
    Yep Yep

I'm assuming you used phpMyAdmin or the backup utility in vBulletin to do this. Unfortunately, there are known problems doing it this way as PHP can timeout before the operation is completed.

It looks like you are going to have to start over.

While you're at it, I would look for a new webhost that knows how to backup files when they change servers.

Comment

well, they had backed it up.... but it was older.... so I deleted there stuff and switched to my backups..... then that didnt work

But when I asked them... they deleted the old mysql databases............ so now i am just stuck with two broken backup files.......

It is really stupid though... they moved servers.... then evert that the emailed everyone and asked then if they would like to have thier databases moved to the new server....... how stupid is that.. if you have a mysql database..... most likely you have it for a reason and use it...... so why wouldnt we want it....
      Yep Yep

Comment

Originally posted by Brady
        well, they had backed it up.... but it was older.... so I deleted there stuff and switched to my backups..... then that didnt work

But when I asked them... they deleted the old mysql databases............ so now i am just stuck with two broken backup files.......

It is really stupid though... they moved servers.... then evert that the emailed everyone and asked then if they would like to have thier databases moved to the new server....... how stupid is that.. if you have a mysql database..... most likely you have it for a reason and use it...... so why wouldnt we want it....
        hah,
        that sounds familiar..
        Does your site happen to be hosted on JaguarPC?

Comment

Originally posted by Brady
          well, they had backed it up.... but it was older....
          That's exactly what I'm saying - if they are going to force you to change servers, they need to learn how to backup the entire server and move it to the new one, so the backup is up-to-date within minutes of changing servers.

Comment

Working...
          X