Opera 5.0 Not Supported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera 5.0 Not Supported

Some user just posted this..I don't know why yet. Anyone else have this reported?

Also i'd like to point out that this new board doesn't fully support Opera 5.0.

I have Opera 5.0 and I have problem with table rendering with all forums I have encountered.

Comment

I also have problems with every single forum I encounter. Even some free crappy cgi serverbased coolboards forums. Ah well, 'even' isn't exactly correctly used here . Even vB has problems with Opera.

I've been brought back to IE and NS. Too bad. :|. I'm going to try every new version of Opera till it works though

Comment

The only known issue with any version of Opera is v5.11 which does not support uploading files, meaning attachments won't work.

If there are other issues, we'd like to hear about them.

Comment

I've seen this problem firsthand. I think it is because Opera adheres very strictly to standards, if not de-facto. Some tags might confuse it or may not even be supported.

FYI

Comment

The templates are currently HTML4 compliant, except for the marginwidth tags and the ? in the URL (which is technically not valid, but there isn't a browser out there that doesn't recognize it). I'm using vB in IE6 (which is just as strict) and have no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
              and the ? in the URL (which is technically not valid, but there isn't a browser out there that doesn't recognize it).
              Actually, it's the & -- it should be represented by & . That's why you get the unknown entity warnings if you run it through W3C's validator.

Comment

Yeah he's right. duh... Blonde moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Aunt Jemima
                  I've seen this problem firsthand. I think it is because Opera adheres very strictly to standards, if not de-facto. Some tags might confuse it or may not even be supported.

FYI
                  Opera supports standards but not the current ones...

It does not support anything past Javascript 1.1 (current is 1.5), HTML 4.0 Working Draft (Current is XHTML 1.0), and CSS 1.0 (Current is CSS 2.0).

It also ignores certain tags in the HTML 4.0 specification like align attributes on table cells, title tags on some tags and other inconsistencies.

Another problem is that Opera users can masquerade as other browsers in the browser settings, so if you use any kind of browser detection to allow cross-browser development, it could be fed the wrong features. The biggest problem is people masquerade as Internet Explorer, which causes no end of troubles.

Also if a site uses frames and the end-user turns them off in Opera it causes no end of problems, especially if they use iFrames.

Some installations of Opera 5.11 cannot handle Multitype forms while others can. Opera 5.02 has no problem handly MultiType forms.

I know a percentage of users like Opera (about 2% at my forums) but it is the second hardest Browser to code for because of its deficiencies.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X