Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I make a database backup of vB 2.0.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make a database backup of vB 2.0.0?

Hello guys,

I want to know how I must do a backup of my database and which files are important to copy? In the MySQL-Directory is a folder called data. In this folder is a folder named the "Name of my Database". In this folder are several files. Must I copy all of these? Or is it enough to copy the *.MYD and *.MYI files? Thanx.

Sorry, I have something forgotten:

I must use telnet because the server is not my own (I have a provider). Are there any commands to make a copy of my database on my harddisk? I have no problems to connect via telnet on this sever but I don´t know how to make a backup. When I´m connecting succesfully I got this:

mysql>
    Last edited by AnnaFan; Sun 27th May '01, 1:34am.

Comment

I recommend using mysqldump to dump all of the data for backups. The basic format is:
      Code:
      mysqldump -uusername -ppassword --opt databasename > /path/to/backup.sql
      Then just download backup.sql to your local PC for safekeeping.

Comment

Hello Chris,

thanx for your reply. For example:

mysqldump -uannafan -p12345 --opt DBxxxxx > C:\backup.sql ?

Comment

Close, just replace c:\backup.sql with a unix path, then you will have to download backup.sql using FTP.

Comment

OK Chris,

but how can I do a copy using FTP like CuteFTP? Can you make me a description to that? Must I use the basic format? Thank You!

Comment

You would basically do the same thing as you did when you uploaded your vBulletin files... just reverse the procedure. I don't use CuteFTP, so I can't be too much help there.

Comment

Ok,

thats no problem to download files via CuteFTP but I have no acces to the MySQL-Directory. So I think it is easier to use telnet. Are there any commands for this?

Comment

Well you should redirect the output from the backup to a directory where you do have permission to read and write files. So if your website is in /www/annafan/htdocs then at the end of the mysqldump command you should put > /www/annafan/htdocs/backup.sql or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaFan
                    Ok,

thats no problem to download files via CuteFTP but I have no acces to the MySQL-Directory. So I think it is easier to use telnet. Are there any commands for this?
                    I do a backup of the database with telnet on the server, just above the public directory so no one can see it, and then I download it with Cute Ftp.

So when I am connected to the server with telnet,
                    I type
                    myslqdump -uMydatabaseusername -pMydatabasepassword Mydatabasename > /home/Myusername/may27.txt

Then, still with telnet, to compress the file I do
                    gzip -9 may27.txt

Then when you connect with ftp, you should see may27.txt.gz
                    Just download it

Olly

Comment

Thanx Alwaysmefirst. I will try this out!

Comment

Can someone provides me a step by step instruction to backup my vbulletin data?

I telnet into my server and what should I do? Do i need to go to my vbulletin folder and do it from there? please guide.

Comment

Working...
                        X