Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An easy way to save loads of bandwidth ( Font tags >> Style Sheets )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drumsy

The first suggestion was done. Now, since I'm a virtual newbie when it comes to editing the admin panel, where do I change the above variables at?

And do you have the adjusted code to reflect the "xx-small, x-small, etc.." format??

Also, do I need to make any changes to the Large Font (customized), Main Font (customized), and Small Font (customized) categories, that are further down the page?
    The variables I listed are changed in the "Replacement Variables" section. You will need to know which set of replacement variables your style uses if there is more than one set. You can find this out by going into the Modify link under Styles, and then selecting the properties for the style you use. It will show the name of the replacement set that that style uses, and then you simply edit the <smallfont <normalfont and <largefont variables in that replacement set in the Modify section of Replacement Variables. Make sure </largefont> contains just a </font> and not a </b> (When you edit these replacement variables, the Small Font, Normal Font, and Large Font sections of the style wizard are what are changed, so you're good on that)

The named font size setting can be done by changing all 3 of those styles you just added in the Head Insert ("headinclude" if you want to do it in the templates section) to this:
    Code:
    .nf { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: x-small }
    .sf { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: xx-small }
    .lf { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: x-small; font-weight:bold }
    However, beware that some browsers will see very tiny fonts while others will see the fonts just fine (Blame non-standardizing of CSS by certain companies for that)
    Last edited by fury; Tue 25th Sep '01, 4:19pm.

Comment

Originally posted by fury
      The variables I listed are changed in the "Replacement Variables" section. You will need to know which set of replacement variables your style uses if there is more than one set. You can find this out by going into the Modify link under Styles, and then selecting the properties for the style you use. It will show the name of the replacement set that that style uses, and then you simply edit the <smallfont <normalfont and <largefont variables in that replacement set in the Modify section of Replacement Variables. Make sure </largefont> contains just a </font> and not a </b> (When you edit these replacement variables, the Small Font, Normal Font, and Large Font sections of the style wizard are what are changed, so you're good on that)

The named font size setting can be done by changing all 3 of those styles you just added in the Head Insert ("headinclude" if you want to do it in the templates section) to this:
      Code:
      .nf { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: x-small }
      .sf { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: xx-small }
      .lf { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: x-small; font-weight:bold }
      However, beware that some browsers will see very tiny fonts while others will see the fonts just fine (Blame non-standardizing of CSS by certain companies for that)
      Ok, I'm at the screen, and it says the following:

Title - Default
      Replacement Set - Default
      Old replacements
      Template Set- Default
      Old templates
      User selectable? No

The name of my current style is Default, and I'll click "Save Changes," but there's nothing to edit after that. No place to do all the <smallfont, <normalfont, <largefont editing you speak off. I apologize if I'm annoying in ignorance.

Comment

Wait a minute, your post suddenly became clearer after I posted mine..........let me try this, as I see where you're going now!

Comment

Well, after much screwing around, and messing up the forums once tonight, I have successfully achieved my goal!! THANK YOU FURY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas P
            Hi there,

great hint, works in 2.0.3.

BUT: you have to add $headinclude in between the <head>-tags in the standardredirect template, unless you like weird font settings

cu,
            -Tom
            Ok, new problem. I had to do this, because my redirect page was pitch black, since the background is black. I did the above, but now the link is completely white, and when I hover over the link, it's yellow. How can I change that link to it's regular color (grey) and remove the yellow hover?

Comment

Some of my members are saying that they cannot see the thread titles (IE 5.5).

They report that the font in the titles is the same as the background color.

http://forums.pentameter.org

I tweaked some of the templates according to this thread.

Comment

Hi,

My headinclude looks like this:

<meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="TRUE">
                <meta http-equiv="MSThemeCompatible" content="Yes">
                <style type="text/css">
                BODY {
                SCROLLBAR-BASE-COLOR: {categorybackcolor};
                SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: {categoryfontcolor};
                }
                SELECT {
                FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;
                FONT-SIZE: 11px;
                COLOR: #000000;
                BACKGROUND-COLOR: #CFCFCF
                }
                TEXTAREA, .bginput {
                FONT-SIZE: 12px;
                FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;
                COLOR: #000000;
                BACKGROUND-COLOR: #CFCFCF
                }
                A:link, A:visited, A:active {
                COLOR: {linkcolor};
                }
                A:hover {
                COLOR: {hovercolor};
                }
                #cat A:link, #cat A:visited, #cat A:active {
                COLOR: {categoryfontcolor};
                TEXT-DECORATION: none;
                }
                #cat A:hover {
                COLOR: {categoryfontcolor};
                TEXT-DECORATION: underline;
                }
                #ltlink A:link, #ltlink A:visited, #ltlink A:active {
                COLOR: {linkcolor};
                TEXT-DECORATION: none;
                }
                #ltlink A:hover {
                COLOR: {hovercolor};
                TEXT-DECORATION: underline;
                }
                .thtcolor {
                COLOR: {tableheadtextcolor};
                }
                .nf {
                FONT-FAMILY: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
                FONT-SIZE: 13px;
                }
                </style>

$headnewpm

Is that all I have to do? I'm using the 2.03 version (this is my first VB).

thx

Kam

Comment

i think this's the lastest version of CSS line ,more shorter :

PHP Code:
                  .nffontx-small verdana; }
                  sffontx-small verdana; } 
                  works in external css file

Comment

The two images in the very first post in this thread are broken.
                    It results in me not understanding what it's all on about.
                    Can somebody please fix the broken images or explain it all again as I'm stumped.
                    Thanks
                    Stuart Wright, founder AVForums.com. [strike]13[/strike] 15 million posts and counting.
                    vBulletin user from 2001. We stopped upgrading vB at 3.8.2 and sadly we're going no further.

Comment

i just did this. it's works well.

Comment

Stumped

Me too ... can anyone describe what to do?

Originally posted by Spinball
                        The two images in the very first post in this thread are broken.
                        It results in me not understanding what it's all on about.
                        Can somebody please fix the broken images or explain it all again as I'm stumped.
                        Thanks
                        Thanks

- Joss

Comment

Sussed it

It should say.. for "Main Font"

make sure these three fields are blankk

Main Font: face
                          Main Font: size
                          Main Font: color

enter nf in the field for

Main Font: class

Then insert the css definition for nf (and sf, etc) in the "Head Insert:" section at the top of the styles CP.

Cheers

Comment

For Users Who Like To Press Submit More Than Once...

I added a javascript that disables the form button after pressing it.

First I added this code to the 'headinclude' template:

Code:
                            <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
                            <!--
                            function disableForm(theform) {
                            	if (document.all || document.getElementById) {
                            		for (i = 0; i < theform.length; i++) {
                            		var tempobj = theform.elements[i];
                            		if (tempobj.type.toLowerCase() == "submit" || tempobj.type.toLowerCase() == "reset")
                            		tempobj.disabled = true;
                            		}
                            	}
                            }
                            //-->
                            </script>
                            Then in my 'newthread' template I change the following javascript function:

Code:
                            function validate(theform) {

if (theform.message.value=="" || theform.subject.value=="") {

alert("Please complete the subject and message fields.");

return false;

}

if (postmaxchars != 0) {

if (theform.message.value.length > $postmaxchars) {

alert("Your message is too long.\n\nReduce your message to $postmaxchars characters.\nIt is currently "+theform.message.value.length+" characters long.");

return false;

} else {

disableForm(theform);

return true;

}

} else {

disableForm(theform);

return true;

}

}
                            Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Could somebody help me to get this work with all sized fonts in a 2.0.3 board? I am confused with the first post being older than 2.0.3 and then other people trying to patch what Kier said. Can somebody please help me on this? I have 2.0.3 because I have so many hacks and if somebody could help me save "buckets" of bandwidth I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comment

How does the style sheet definition work with Nutscrape?? I ask coz stupid thing requires +1 for every Xpt of a font style def. in CSS. That's what I hvae seen.

So I might be able to change to CSS but then Nutscrape won't like it at all or at least that is what I have seen with style sheets.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X