Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An easy way to save loads of bandwidth ( Font tags >> Style Sheets )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I asked my hosting to install Mod_gzip

Originally posted by julius
    He wants to know if it is a Perl Module or an Apache Module and what is it for?

I think it is an Apache module and it compresses files to about 50%, saving bandwidt.

Is it correct? What more technical details can I tell him and convince him?

Thanks
    Check the logfiles. I've enabled mod_gzip on my server but I could not see any performance improvement (from the logfiles, that is). The mod_gzip web has some tools to let you analyze your logfiles.

Comment

Re: Re: Confussed

Originally posted by Thomas P

The standard redirect pages won't show the changes done in css unless you include the simple line "$headinclude" into the redirect template...

This seems to have changed in 2.0.3

That's why I mentioned this.

Use it or leave it - it works fine for me.
      -Tom
      My board is an upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.0.3 and $headinclude seems to be missing from the default template.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Confussed

Originally posted by pran

My board is an upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.0.3 and $headinclude seems to be missing from the default template.
        Yes, I experienced that problem in all my redirection templates when I upgraded from 2.0.0 to 2.0.3. All you have to do is add the $headinclude in the header of your standardredirect template.
        Marc James
        Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
        Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I thought I had to edit each and every one of the redirect templates. Why isn't standardredirect part of the redirect template group? Confusing...

Comment

Right...

Yes, perfectly right.

redirect template, not redirect templates

cu,
            -Tom
            http://www.mcseboard.de/images/buttons/lastpost.gif www.MCSEboard.de
            German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

Font type in Lite

I only noticed this to-night, but the fonts on my old Lite Forum look better than my main 2.03 forum. Looking closer I found that 2.03 lists sans-serif as a font, where VB Lite does not. Which font by default does Lite use? and 2.03? I have all three on my system. Finally I use the hack in this thread but never knew what values to use for large font? Anyone.

Comment

Well, I did it and everything looks the same. I don't know how much bandwidth I saved but it's got to be worth it since I can see in the "view source" document that its shorter

Comment

I believe vB Lite (and vB 1.1.x) uses Arial as default, whereas vB 2.x uses Verdana. The other fonts are specified in case the user doesn't have the main fonts installed (unlikely, I know, but it does happen).

pran: Grouping is done alphabetically, so standardredirect doesn't fit into the rest of the redirect_xxx group alphabetically, therefore it can't be included in that group.

Comment

Question: Besides what it does to conserving bandwidth, does this do anything to save diskspace?

Comment

Nope
                      Just bandwith.

Comment

If using this tip you also should add $headinclude between <head> and </head> in standardredirect template so that your redirect pages shows correct font.

Comment

Re: An easy way to save loads of bandwidth

Originally posted by Kier
                          [B]You'll see that code repeated hundreds of times all over the pages. Wouldn't if be good if we could somehow take that formatting information and store it centrally in the HTML, then have all the <font> tags reference that single source?

Well you can.

Let's try it for the most common tag - <normalfont>.

Normally, <normalfont> is replaced with this sort of thing: <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> because your settings for <normalfont> look like this:

Let's get rid of all that superfluous information, and simply replace it with a CSS style definition:

hmmm the two image is down....

where exactly do i have to change this act?
                          http://www.shinraonline.com

Comment

Has anything changed as far as how do this, with the current version of vBulletin?

I did this in Head Insert: and my code looks like this:

Code:
                            <style type="text/css">
                            BODY {
                            	SCROLLBAR-BASE-COLOR: {categorybackcolor};
                            	SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: {categoryfontcolor};
                            }
                            SELECT {
                            	FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;
                            	FONT-SIZE: 11px;
                            	COLOR: #000000;
                            	BACKGROUND-COLOR: #CFCFCF
                            }
                            TEXTAREA, .bginput {
                            	FONT-SIZE: 12px;
                            	FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;
                            	COLOR: #000000;
                            	BACKGROUND-COLOR: #CFCFCF
                            }
                            A:link, A:visited, A:active {
                            	COLOR: {linkcolor};
                            }
                            A:hover {
                            	COLOR: {hovercolor};
                            }
                            #cat A:link, #cat A:visited, #cat A:active {
                            	COLOR: {categoryfontcolor};
                            	TEXT-DECORATION: none;
                            }
                            #cat A:hover {
                            	COLOR: {categoryfontcolor};
                            	TEXT-DECORATION: underline;
                            }
                            #ltlink A:link, #ltlink A:visited, #ltlink A:active {
                            	COLOR: {linkcolor};
                            	TEXT-DECORATION: none;
                            }
                            #ltlink A:hover {
                            	COLOR: {hovercolor};
                            	TEXT-DECORATION: underline;
                            }
                            .thtcolor {
                            	COLOR: {tableheadtextcolor};
                            }
                            .nf { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt }
                            .sf { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10px }</style>
                            Please tell me I did this right.....and is this ALL I need to do to maximize the effectiveness of this tweak?

Comment

Add this to the style sheet:
                              Code:
                              .lf { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; font-weight:bold }
                              and make sure you set your replacement variables to this:

Code:
                              <smallfont replaces with <font class=sf
                              <normalfont replaces with <font class=nf
                              <largefont replaces with <font class=lf
                              </smallfont> replaces with </font>
                              </normalfont> replaces with </font>
                              </largefont> replaces with </font>
                              This will ensure the tweak works to the maximum efficiency possible.

The one problem with it is that setting the fonts to px/pt, like it was already said in this thread, will disable font size changing since the fonts are a fixed size. But if you use the naming system (xx-small, x-small, small, normal, medium, large, etc), the font sizes will vary from browser to browser, for instance the fonts are half the size in Netscape as they are in IE (how's that for damned if you do, damned if you don't?)

I love this tweak because it puts a lot less download time on those who don't have gzip uncompression in their browsers. I just wish there was a way to standardize text sizes between browsers

Comment

Originally posted by fury
                                Add this to the style sheet:
                                Code:
                                .lf { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; font-weight:bold }
                                and make sure you set your replacement variables to this:

Code:
                                <smallfont replaces with <font class=sf
                                <normalfont replaces with <font class=nf
                                <largefont replaces with <font class=lf
                                </smallfont> replaces with </font>
                                </normalfont> replaces with </font>
                                </largefont> replaces with </font>
                                This will ensure the tweak works to the maximum efficiency possible.

The first suggestion was done. Now, since I'm a virtual newbie when it comes to editing the admin panel, where do I change the above variables at?

And do you have the adjusted code to reflect the "xx-small, x-small, etc.." format??

Also, do I need to make any changes to the Large Font (customized), Main Font (customized), and Small Font (customized) categories, that are further down the page?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X