Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An easy way to save loads of bandwidth ( Font tags >> Style Sheets )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I will ask nicely...

Originally posted by julius
    .... and post here the answer.
    good luck
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Another problem with the pt and px system is that the fonts are fixed at those sizes. They will not change when a user changes the font size on their browser (in IE: View -> Text Size).

You'd have to use the name system:

xx-small
      x-small
      small
      medium
      large
      etc

Comment

I just did this little tweak, Kier. It made my vB even more quick. You the man!
        Marc James
        Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
        Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

bandwidth....
          ...did anybody here move all those gifs etc to another server?

Comment

What gifs?

Comment

erm... "what gifs?!?"

simply everything around here that is not ABCDEF...Z0123..9 or tables is gfs : the logos, icons, buttons, avantars and smilies.
              Would be nice to store all those images on another server than the php-engine.

Because: the php/mysql engine is a dedicated server we pay for each gig - and the images we could put on any "free" webspace-provider...

Comment

You didn't mention that you were talking about moving your images to another server, you just said "did someone move the gifs".

Anyway it's been done, where one dedicated server is the MySQL server and the other server is the PHP/web server. However in these cases the admin owns both machines.

It is specifically against the TOSes of 99% of the free hosts (including GeoCities, AngelFire, Lycos Tripod, etc.) to hotlink images, and accounts that are pulling images like that will be deleted without warning in most cases. I would not recommend it unless you find it fun to upload your images to a new server every day.

Comment

OK, but it is possible... is there already more info on that somewhere around here? I think it must be quite complicated...

Comment

Actually, it's extremely easy - you would just upload the images to http://www.myfreeserver.com and then set your {imagesfolder} replacement variable to point to that address.

That said, expect to have your free account shut down within days of doing this, as most hosts will be very upset by your actions.

Comment

OK, I thought maybe I end up having http://www.myphpserver.com/forum/http://www.myfreeserver.com/-urls ...

I don't know how the paths are being handled by all templates...

Comment

Kier,

This is awesome!!! I've been trying to trim my forums down the last week as a couple critical members who access my forums via slow dialup have complained about vBulletin being too bulky in comparison to other forums such as phpBB. Your .css changes shaved another 6.5 KB off my uncompressed forum home page. Thanks!
                        Rob

Comment

excellent tweak

Comment

Thanks Kier,
                            amazing!
                            -Tom
                            http://www.mcseboard.de/images/buttons/lastpost.gif www.MCSEboard.de
                            German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

I asked my hosting to install Mod_gzip

He wants to know if it is a Perl Module or an Apache Module and what is it for?

I think it is an Apache module and it compresses files to about 50%, saving bandwidt.

Is it correct? What more technical details can I tell him and convince him?

Thanks

Comment

It compresses files up to 80% or 90%.

PHP has to be recompiled with it, if I'm not mistaken.

You can find out more at http://www.gzip.org/zlib/

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X