Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i... add a form to the user profile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i... add a form to the user profile?

our users are asking for a way to add a medical case history to their profile. the problem is that each time they meet someone new on the board, they have to tell their story over and over - not easy for some of them.

the ideal format for the case history would be two date fields, two single-line text fields and a text box, but i suspect they could live with a text box if that's all they could get.

i figured the easiest way was to make Case History a custom field on the user profile, but i can't find any way to override the field length limitation.

so... is there a better way to handle this chunk of information and if not, is there a way to modify the field length?

thanks,

- k.
    In theory, there is no difference between
    theory and practice, but in practice there is.

The length limit on Custom Profile Fields is 250. The datatype only accepts a maximumlength of 255 so you won't get much more room.

However you can make as many custom profile fields as you want and they will show up in the profile.

You could make some for:
    Date 1
    Date 2
    Description
    Diagnosis
    Resolution
    etc...

If you need something more you will have to alter the database.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

thanks, wayne, that's a good idea. i'll try it.

the 250 char. limitation might make the description area a little klugey since i'll probably have to make the fields paragraph 1, paragraph 2, etc.

in the event it's too cumbersome to work with like that, can you direct me to the right place in the database where i'd have to make the change?

- kestrel
      In theory, there is no difference between
      theory and practice, but in practice there is.

Comment

I'm looking to do the same thing, but I can't find where the custom profile fields reside in the database.

Any tips?

Thanks!

-bw

Comment

They're in the userfield table.
          Rob

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X