Upgrade OK? Errors on Posts\Replies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade OK? Errors on Posts\Replies

I upgraded successfully (I thought) until I tried to either post a new thread, or reply to an existing thread. When I do that, I get this error message:
    -------
    Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
    ------

Has anyone else received this error - and what has been done to fix the problem. I have requested the error logs from my host, and am waiting to hear from them.

Thanks,

Sean Engle

What happens if you take out the enctype attribute of the <form> tag on the newthread/newreply templates?

Comment

If you have access to your Apache error logs, paste the error message that is written when you try to post.

Comment

Working on it...

I don't know - I've just aked them for the Apache' logs (we'll see). My host is Pair Networks, across the state from you.

By the way - is there any element of this program called "favicon.ico"? That is the only thing in the error logs besides a missing graphic error.....

Thanks,
        //sse

Comment

I&#039;ll try anything...

Originally posted by freddie
          What happens if you take out the enctype attribute of the <form> tag on the newthread/newreply templates?
          I don't know - I'll give it a try, though (my users are starting to complain). What specific line of code am I looking to remove?

Thanks,
          //sse

Comment

Re: Working on it...

Originally posted by SeanE
            By the way - is there any element of this program called "favicon.ico"? That is the only thing in the error logs besides a missing graphic error.....
            You can ignore those... when someone bookmarks you site using IE 5 or greater, it tries to download an image called favicon.ico to use as the icon for the bookmark.

Comment

Re: I&#039;ll try anything...

Originally posted by SeanE
              I don't know - I'll give it a try, though (my users are starting to complain). What specific line of code am I looking to remove?
              These are in the control panel, edit templates.... in newthread and newreply templates.

Comment

Found the Templates - Where do I cut?

A copy of the the HTML code follows for the new thread template - where are you talking about cutting?

Thanks,
                //sse

===============

{htmldoctype}
                <html>
                <head>
                <title>$bbtitle - Post New Thread</title>
                $headinclude
                <!--<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="$bburl/spellcheck/spch.js"></script>-->
                <script language="javascript">
                <!--
                var postmaxchars = $postmaxchars;
                function validate(theform) {
                if (theform.message.value=="" || theform.subject.value=="") {
                alert("Please complete the subject and message fields.");
                return false; }
                if (postmaxchars != 0) {
                if (theform.message.value.length > $postmaxchars) {
                alert("Your message is too long.\n\nReduce your message to $postmaxchars characters.\nIt is currently "+theform.message.value.length+" characters long.");
                return false; }
                else { return true; }
                } else { return true; }
                }
                function checklength(theform) {
                if (postmaxchars != 0) { message = "\nThe maximum permitted length is $postmaxchars characters."; }
                else { message = ""; }
                alert("Your message is "+theform.message.value.length+" characters long."+message);
                }
                //-->
                </script>
                </head>
                <body>
                $header

<!-- breadcrumb -->
                <table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="{contenttablewidth}" {tableinvisibleextra} align="center">
                <tr>
                <td width="100%">$navbar</td>
                </tr>
                </table>
                <!-- /breadcrumb -->

$postpreview

<br>

<form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="newthread.php" method="POST" name="vbform" onSubmit="return validate(this)">
                <input type="hidden" name="s" value="$session[sessionhash]">

<table cellpadding="{tableouterborderwidth}" cellspacing="0" border="0" bgcolor="{tablebordercolor}" {tableouterextra} width="{contenttablewidth}" align="center"><tr><td>
                <table cellpadding="4" cellspacing="{tableinnerborderwidth}" border="0" {tableinnerextra} width="100%">
                <tr>
                <td bgcolor="{tableheadbgcolor}" colspan="2"><normalfont color="{tableheadtextcolor}" class="thtcolor"><b>Post New Thread</b></normalfont></td>
                </tr>
                $logincode
                <tr bgcolor="{secondaltcolor}">
                <td bgcolor="{secondaltcolor}"><normalfont><b>Subject:</b></normalfont></td>
                <td bgcolor="{secondaltcolor}"><normalfont><input type="text" class="bginput" name="subject" value="$subject" size="40" maxlength="85" tabindex="1"></normalfont></td>
                </tr>
                $posticons
                $vbcode_buttons
                <tr>
                <td bgcolor="{secondaltcolor}" valign="top" nowrap><normalfont><b>Message:</b></normalfont>
                <p><smallfont>
                See Forum Rules (below) for<br>
                more information about what<br>
                codes you are allowed to use<br>
                in your posts.
                </smallfont></p>
                $vbcode_smilies</td>
                <td bgcolor="{secondaltcolor}">
                <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">
                <tr valign="top">
                <td><textarea name="message" rows="20" cols="$textareacols" wrap="virtual" tabindex="2">$message</textarea><br>
                <smallfont><a href="javascript:checklength(document.vbform);">[check message length]</a></smallfont></td>
                </tr>
                </table>
                </td>
                </tr>
                <tr>
                <td bgcolor="{firstaltcolor}" valign="top"><normalfont><b>Options:</b></normalfont></td>
                <td bgcolor="{firstaltcolor}" valign="top"><smallfont>
                <input type="checkbox" name="parseurl" value="yes" $parseurlchecked> <b>Automatically parse URLs:</b> automatically adds and around internet addresses.
                <br><input type="checkbox" name="email" value="yes" $emailchecked> <b>Email Notification:</b> emails sent to you whenever someone replies. Only registered users are eligible.
                $disablesmiliesoption
                <br><input type="checkbox" name="signature" value="yes" $signaturechecked> <b>Show Signature:</b> include your profile signature. Only registered users may have signatures.
                </smallfont></td>
                </tr>
                $attachmentoption
                $postpolloption
                </table>
                </td></tr></table>

<br>

<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="{contenttablewidth}" {tableinvisibleextra} align="center">
                <tr>
                <td align="center"><normalfont>
                <input type="hidden" name="forumid" value="$forumid">
                <input type="hidden" name="action" value="postthread">
                <input type="submit" class="bginput" name="submit" value="Submit New Thread" accesskey="s" tabindex="3">
                <input type="submit" class="bginput" name="preview" value="Preview Post" accesskey="p" tabindex="4">
                <!--<input type="button" class="bginput" value="Spell Check" onclick="var f=document.forms['vbform']; doSpell( '$spellchecklang', f.message, '$bburl/spellcheck/sproxy.php', true);" tabindex="5">-->
                </normalfont></td>
                </tr>
                </table>

</form>

<tr>
                <td><smallfont><b>Forum Rules:</b><br>$forumrules</smallfont></td>
                </tr>
                </table>

$footer

</body>
                </html>

Comment

Never Mind, I think I found it....

I went down at blew out the value after "form enctype=", leaving just two quote marks ("").

When I tried to post then, it took it, however it errored, stating that "...document vbform.status is not an object" Did it edit it incorrectly?

Thanks,
                  //sse

Comment

I&#039;m not doing this right

So now I've tried to blow out the quote marks ("") and the equal sign, leaving just the "form enctype" in there - but I'm still getting the same error message mentioned above....

//sse

Comment

Look for this:
                      Code:
                      <form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="newthread.php" method="POST" name="vbform" onSubmit="return validate(this)">
                      Change to read:
                      Code:
                      <form action="newthread.php" method="POST" name="vbform" onSubmit="return validate(this)">

Comment

Success!

It appears that did it - I can post just fine now!

Thanks very much for your help, Chris - it's appreciated!

//sse

Comment

Just One Last Thing...

I still am getting those errors:
                          -----------
                          Internal Server Error
                          The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
                          Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
                          ------------
                          They come up occasionally - and when I go back, and then hit the button again, it goes through (so it's a random problem). I hate to think this is happening to my users...

Is there any way to tell what it's hanging up on besides the Apache' logs (I'm still waiting to hear from my host)?

Thanks,
                          //sse

Comment

One Thing More...Avatars Failing Too...

That same error comes up when I try to assign an Avatar to my profile. I have the image loaded correctly, and it appears available in the Avatar selection window (or whatever you call it), but once I select it, and try to save, that error comes up.

//sse

Comment

Same Thing for Avatars

I was thinking that perhaps the code issue was the same for the Avatars - so I tried to modify the "modifyavatar" template in the same manner as the others - without success.

Am I / was I hitting the wrong template (to select an avatar that is already in the system)?

Thanks,
                              //sse

Comment