Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resizing windows 'refreshes' display and wipes out contents

Running vB 2.0 Gold

I just received a complaint from one of my members that when he types in a message and then resizes the screen, the display refreshs and wipes out everything he's written. I just confirmed this problem myself.

Here's what he reports:

Anyway, working on an 800x600 screen, one is not apt to have the default window size set to full screen--when it is a bit narrower, it's easier to overlap several IE windows. So when one opens OptiBoard, the right-hand side of the Forum display is cut off. At some point one wants to see more. When one grabs the right hand side of the window and widens it, OptiBoard responds by causing about fifteen or twenty local clicks (having to do with elements partly off screen?) and then totally redrawing itself, blanking the screen white and refreshing itself--critically, it refreshes itself from the server, with network activity. This "auto-refresh on window resize" is certainly not standard behavior.

There are at least three cases that I've seen. (A) When viewing the Forum listings/postings, there is merely an unnecessary delay each time the window size is changed; irritating when one is on a 56KB modem (as I am at the moment). (B) When composing a reply, the behavior is more damaging. If one widens the window size then, while the text typed is in the reply window, OptiBoard refreshes itself from the server--and in the process discards everything the user has typed! (C) When previewing a reply, widening the window gives the clicks, and then a different screen with an error message: "vBulletin Message No thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster". I've gotten this same error repeatedly.

I think the thing to work on would be avoiding the "auto-refresh on window resize" behavior, if possible; that should solve (A) and (B). The error in case (C) may involve another contributing bug, but might go away as well.

FWIW, I think that any program behavior that results in user input being lost without warning is a bug requiring a fix.
    IMO this is a valid concern. Any ideas on the cause of this behaviour and how to fix it?
    Last edited by Steve Machol; Mon 21st May '01, 10:44am.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

*polite bump*

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Could you ask this user of yours to register here, then test out the 'testing' forum to see if he gets the same problem?

Comment

Will do. I'm actually testing this out myself right now and this doesn't seem to happen on these forums. Very strange!

Any idea what would cause this to happen on my site but not here?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

My user tested this site and confirmed that it doesn't happen here. I suspected it might have something to do with cacheing, but I double-checked my configuration and the no-cache headers are set to 'no'.

To my knowledge there is nothing special about my setup that would cause this. Nonetheless there is definitely a difference. Is it possibly something that the web host has done that causes this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

The javascript for the Dynamic Toolbar used on your site causes a refresh for the document if the window is resized.

Since the document is being refreshed it is gotten from the server as a fresh copy and all contents in a form will be reset to the defaults.

There is nothing we can do to fix this.

You can contact Mike at Brainjar.com and see if he has a workaround.

The delay is caused by a 2 second delay built into the script for IE.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Here is the relevant code from navbar.js that is causing this.

Code:
              window.onresize=navBarReload;function navBarReload(){if(isMinNS4&&origWidth==window.innerWidth&&origHeight==window.innerHeight)return;if(isMinIE4)setTimeout('window.location.href = window.location.href',2000);else window.location.href=window.location.href;}
              If you don't refresh for Netscape 4.XX, it will lose all CSS information and the forums will look funky. This is a known bug in the Netscape Rendering engine that will not be fixed in the lower versions. I have no idea why he is forcing a refresh with IE though.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks Wayne! Mystery solved.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X