Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ... minimise bandwidth

Hi,

I'm sure there are many of you that pay for data transfer from your host.
    So can someone reccomend the best settings to minimise bandwidth from using vb?
    Eg. Can avatars be turned off?

Cheers,

Dibble

Assuming you are running vBulletin, you can go into the Admin Control Panel and "Change Options". There you will find all the options that you can turn on and off. Avatars can be disabled. Smilies for all the Forums can be disabled. Uploading files and showing images can be disabled. There's a lot you can do and too much to list here. Simply "explore" all the options and you'll get a good idea of what to do to minimize bandwidth to suit your needs.
    Rob

Comment

Can anyone estimate what the data transfer might be on a board of 500 members over a month?
      I know this could vary greatly, but a ball park figure would be appreciated.

I have 5GB per year data transfer - would that support a board of around 500 members?

Cheers

Dibble.

Comment

5GB per year or per month????? Per year is impossible. If that's the rate, then the answer to your question is...."no way"!
        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble
          Can anyone estimate what the data transfer might be on a board of 500 members over a month?
          I know this could vary greatly, but a ball park figure would be appreciated.

I have 5GB per year data transfer - would that support a board of around 500 members?

Cheers

Dibble.
          5GB a year?

I work here.. and I don't normally solicit.. but g'damn..

www.rackshack.net

150GB per month for a dedicated machine, and unlimited for Virtuals...

Comment

Yeah it is 5GB per year

I have paid £35 ($50) for two years hosting

As extra bandwidth is £6.02 ($8.5) per 512MB hopefully it wont be too bad.

What is your estimated bandwidth usage per month for a board with 500 users?

Cheers

Dibble

Comment

There really isn't an easy way to estimate monthly bandwidth. My suggestion to you is to find another hosting provider that offers more.
              Rob

Comment

nitrix,

I cant see details of your mysql setup - do you offer one?

Comment

Can anyone post their data transfer usage?

I.e We have 400 registered users and we use about 2GB a month?

Cheers

Dibble

Comment

SitePointForums has over 5500 members and uses between 30 and 40 gigabytes of bandwidth a month.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks for the info - gives me a rough idea of what to aim for.

Looks like I would need minimum of 3GB per month for 500 users - roughly speaking

Cheers

Dibble

Comment

If you look in the Chit Chat forum or search for Bandwidth you will find that many people have posted this over and over again as it is.

We can't give you an estimate on how much bandwidth your forums will take until we see a layout so that your graphic use can be taken into account. One 400 member board with Heavy Graphics and Flash could use 5 to 10 gigabytes a month. It depends on graphics, traffic and how much your members talk.

It seems to me that your host is scamming people with low startup prices and then hitting them with high bandwidth costs to make up for it.

Now... SitePointForums is on a dedicated server. We are allowed 50 gigabytes of transfer per month. For each block of 25 gigabytes over that we pay $58.75. At your plan's rates the same cost to you would be $425 dollars per 25 gigabytes.

If your pages average 150K (with graphics) and you get 1000 (2.5 pages per member) page views a month that would be: 1,5360,000 Kbytes per month or over 1 gig. You would exhuast your early bandwidth in a little over 3 months. For the other nine months you would use almost 14 gigabytes and pay an additional $119 dollars.

So now with these figures in mind you would pay: $50 X ($119 X 2) = $288 for your account. Which is $12.00 a month. Not bad...

However if your members are very vocal and view 25 pages a day or 10,000 page views a month. You would use 15,360,000 KBytes per month (about 15 gigabytes). Now your early bandwidth costs will be around $1530 dollars. Your total cost would be $3110 or approximately $130 per month. You could almost get a dedicated server for that amount.
                        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Sun 20 May '01, 8:01am.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks for the calculations - I've been looking for an alternative host.

Ones so far are
                          http://phpwebhosting.com/
                          http://www.twilight-online.net/virtual/

Is the downside of gzip the loading speed? - Even so it seems like a good option.

I'll also try disabling avatars, file uploads and smilies etc.. and see how long the 5GB lasts.

Cheers

Dibble

Comment

The downside of Gzip is the extra CPU usage required. The upside is loading times. Pages can be compressed 80% or more.

Comment

my site gets over 1000 unique hits per hour and over 5000 hits per hour and it uses up around 1GB/month. plus get this. it's a gaming site. microgamers.com
                              - MrLister

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X