1 or 2 domains for home and forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 or 2 domains for home and forums

I notice that several experienced webmasters here have setup a "forums" domain and the regular for their site. Best example is wluke's supberb sitepoint site which also uses sitepointforums as its forums domain just for vB forums. I've done the same with my own but I have concerns running both ways regarding where to set up vB. I get 8GB per domain with 400MB of HD space per account, for under $20 for a virtual setup sharing servers. setting up 2 domains seems far more cost efficient than having just one. But I ask...

(1) Is there particular any reason why you guys set up 2 domains rather than one?

(2) From a traffic standpoint, can anyone give some stats on what their traffic is per posts? I know this isn't a great metric, numbers will be approx, but it's the best that can be asked for. I don't want to stick on one domain and easily exceed traffic due to the forums. I've checked some metrics but I haven't seen any good ones for the latest VB.

(3) Ease of common element integration across 2 domains. I think that the calendar is a great item to have permanently in my left nav. I may want a few current posts/polls to show on the home page too, pulling from vB. I'm moving to an all UNIX/php site (from ASP), still learning PHP (but still a little nervous messing with mySQL), currently using Frontpage just to manage shared borders and site nav. I'll probably be moving to Ultradev. Shared borders are a pain but necessary.

I'm sure others may be thinking the same thing... Probably much has to do with my efforts to master PHP instead of using vB as a plug and play tool. To those with some experience perhaps what I'm trying to accomplish is not all that difficult and I'll get there soon...

Thanks to all in advance...
    My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

not sure why some sites do a different domain for their forums. I have always just used domain.com/forum for my forums. Though, i recently set up forum.domain.com for my forums. I'm considering switching over to that.

Actually, if a site was serving their forums from a separate box then wouldn't they have to use a different domain? This may be why.

Comment

I could think of several, e.g. branding. If they wanted a different box they could always use subdomains.
      My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X