Mysqldump ( backup )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysqldump ( backup )

how do i make a backup of my vB database so i can revert back to an old version if sommin muffs up.
    i made a back up from vb i tryed to load it back up to the db and it had errors. if it does work. ( the dump ) how would i load it back up so nothing goes wrong?

You need to telnet into your server and type in the following:

mysqldump -u[username] -p[password] [dbname] > [/path/to/dump/file/dbname.txt]

...where the bracket areas (including the brackets themselves) are replaced by your info. After hitting enter when you enter this command line it may hang for a few seconds. When the prompt comes back up it is done. You can check the location you specified for the dump file in your ftp to make sure it's there.

You should go into your vB control panel and turn off your forums before doing this.

You can restore your db from this dump file at a later time if you need. I forget the command line for that though.

Comment

Command line to restore:

mysql -u[username] -p[password] [dbname] < [/path/to/dump/file/name.txt]

Also, just to add on to what Jake said, it should take no longer than 30 seconds to return to the command line when backing up. To restore may take longer, depending on the size of your database.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X