No announcement yet.

[Release v2] Updated Community Bulletin Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the upgrade. What I have is commbull92. Do I just simply upload the new file and that's it? Or do I need to run it and do all the instructions again, or what?
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    JJR512.com: Chat about anything!

Comment

Couple of suggestions if anyone is interested...

1. Threads only get set once. My worry is that for the threads like "top ten recent activity" i am often going to get the same ones coming up, like "word game" sort of thing. Perhaps nice if you could add a field to thread to turn that thread of after it has been used once (also preventing the same thread appearing more than once in each mailing). This would be quite a big hack i presume and perhaps not worth it.

2. Automatic

This would be mega useful. Basically, the way i see it happening is having a slightly different version of the script in which you hard code your options (not hard me thinks) and then that is run by cron at your set time.... but..

3. Option in profile for frequency.

To make it trully automatic have a frequency setting in profile (perhaps limit this to daily, weekly or monthly). The mailer the cron script then runs through but only sends to those on weekly if it is a monday and only to those on monthly if it is 1st of month.

anyway, that whole automatic cron thing would be cool if someone is interested...
      Christopher Padfield
      Web Based Helpdesk
      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

I have some suggestions. the statistics, I was hoping to use this to send outg weekly stats. It would be useful to have it so you can show statistics from the start and from lets say the last week? Also it would be nice to include new stories. We have a news forum and it would be nice to email our users a copy of the text. Only of the first post though?ome more stats would be nice, or you could help me get more stats

Comment

I almost forgot, I have two suggestions, too.

1. Add an area on the page where you set your options of what you want to send, etc., for you to type in some text to be included with the message. A textarea thing. So you can add some thoughts or comments, or maybe a promo message, something that you might want to change each time.

2. Right now a user can disable receiving this for himself by editing their options. I'd like to have the same thing in the admin cp part of editing a user, so I can disable it (or enable it ) for a user, myself.

3. (Yes I said two, but this just came to me!) The preview feature doesn't show you exactly what you really end up getting. Could you include a way to send a test email to just one address, like your own address?
          -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

Originally posted by JJR512
            I almost forgot, I have two suggestions, too.

1. Add an area on the page where you set your options of what you want to send, etc., for you to type in some text to be included with the message. A textarea thing. So you can add some thoughts or comments, or maybe a promo message, something that you might want to change each time.
            Ummm... you already have this ability.

Comment

Well perhaps you would care to show me where. I look at the Community Bulletin Email Generator in my Admin CP, and I see options to select what date to start from, thread blocks 1-4, polls, events, other info, layout, a thing to select which forums to include from, a thing to select which usergroups to mail to, and that's it. Nowhere do I see a textarea for me to type in a message that will be included in the email. I would take a screenshot and ask you to point it out to me, but since I have to scroll to see the whole thing, I'd have to take and post multiple screenshots, and I really don't feel like doing that. Please just tell me where exactly it is, because I don't see it.
              -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

Press the "Preview" button at the bottom of the first page and then edit as you like in the text box on the second page...

Comment

Question about the upgrade. What I have is commbull92. Do I just simply upload the new file and that's it? Or do I need to run it and do all the instructions again, or what?
                  Download the commbull95.zip file from the first post and unzip the commbull.php file from it, and upload it your admin directory, overwriting the old commbull.php file. That's it

Comment

3. (Yes I said two, but this just came to me!) The preview feature doesn't show you exactly what you really end up getting. Could you include a way to send a test email to just one address, like your own address?
                    It doesn't?

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
                      Press the "Preview" button at the bottom of the first page and then edit as you like in the text box on the second page...
                      Ahh, I see it now:
                      You may alter any of the text shown here.
                      I had missed that earlier, and didn't realize you could edit the preview. Oops!
                      -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
                        It doesn't?
                        Well, it mostly does, but still... I guess it really does, it's just that it just looks a little bit different in my email than it does in the preview. I guess it's just a matter of fonts and formatting and stuff. It's not a big deal, I supose.
                        -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

I have updated the first post in this thread with the latest version of the Community Bulletin Generator. It is v0.96, and will function with RC1, RC2, and RC3 of vBulletin v2. Changes are detailed there, as are instructions for upgrading the Community Bulletin Generator.

Note to those upgrading to RC3: There is a special note for you in the first post in this thread regarding upgrading and this hack. Please read it!

Comment

i get this error is i activate birthdays ins sendoptions

Database error in vBulletin Control Panel: Invalid SQL: SELECT * FROM user WHERE
                            SUBSTRING(birthday,6)>='05-12' AND SUBSTRING(birthday,6)<='05-26' ORDER BY SUBSTRING(birthday,6) LIMIT
                            mysql error: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'SUBSTRING(birthday,6) LIMIT 0,10' at line 1
                            mysql error number: 1064
                            Date: Saturday 12th of May 2001 03:03:12 PM
                            Script: /forum/admin/commbull.php

Comment

What version of MySQL is your host running?

Comment

cant say it

is there a way to check the version online ?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X