[Release] Change Vote Ability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Release] Change Vote Ability

As promised a few weeks ago, I finally found some time to make the much needed addition to allow users to change their votes in a poll. After examining the code a bit, I ended up reusing some of the vB code for this ... I hope this isn't a violation of the hacks rules. I read through them, and I think the code re-use is so small and specialized that it will be ok for redistribution via this forum. If it's not, please feel free to edit/lock this thread, I just ask that a moderator let me know what parts are unacceptable.

Here is the hack, it's fairly simple:

Open up poll.php:

At the bottom of the file, find ?>

Just above this, insert this code:

PHP Code:
    // #################################### Change Vote ##########################################

if ($action=="changevote"

{

// other permissions?

$permissions=getpermissions($forumid);
      if (!
    $permissions[canview] or !$permissions[canvote]) {

show_nopermission();
      }

$pollid=verifyid("poll",$pollid);

$pollinfo=$DB_site->query_first("SELECT * FROM poll WHERE pollid='$pollid'");

$voteinfo=$DB_site->query_first("SELECT * FROM pollvote WHERE userid='$bbuserinfo[userid]' AND pollid='$pollid'");

$threadinfo=$DB_site->query_first("SELECT * FROM thread WHERE pollid='$pollid' AND open<>10");

$threadcache[$threadinfo[threadid]]=$threadinfo;

//check if poll is closed

if (!$pollinfo[active] or !$threadinfo[open] or ($pollinfo[dateline]+($pollinfo[timeout]*86400)<time() and $pollinfo[timeout]!=0)){ //poll closed

eval("standarderror(\"".gettemplate("error_pollclosed")."\");");
         exit;
      }

//check if a user has already voted - abuse management

if (!$uservoteinfo=$DB_site->query_first("SELECT userid FROM pollvote WHERE userid=$bbuserinfo[userid] AND pollid='$pollid'"))
        {

//the user has not voted yet

eval("standarderror(\"".gettemplate("error_userhasnotvoted")."\");");
          exit;
        }

//Error checking complete, lets get the options

$timenow time();

$DB_site->query("DELETE FROM pollvote WHERE pollid='$pollid' AND userid='$bbuserinfo[userid]' LIMIT 1");

$splitvotes=explode("|||",$pollinfo[votes]);

$splitvotes[$voteinfo[voteoption]-1]--;

$counter=0;
        while (
    $counter<$pollinfo[numberoptions]) {

$votesstring.="|||".intval($splitvotes[$counter]);

$counter++;
        }
        if (
    substr($votesstring,0,3)=="|||") {

$votesstring=substr($votesstring,3);
        }

$DB_site->query("UPDATE poll SET votes='".addslashes($votesstring)."' WHERE pollid='$pollid'");

//make last reply date == last vote date

if ($updatelastpost){ //option selected in CP

$DB_site->query("UPDATE thread SET lastpost=$timenow WHERE threadid=$threadinfo[threadid]");
        }

// redirect

eval("standardredirect(\"".gettemplate("redirect_pollchange")."\",\"showthread.php?s=$session[sessionhash]&threadid=$threadinfo[threadid]\");");
      } 
    Save poll.php and upload it.

In your templates, you will need to add two templates and modify 1 existing one.

First:

Code:
    Add template " error_userhasnotvoted "

The text of the template should be: 

You have not voted on this thread, so you can not change your vote.
    Second:

Code:
    Add template " redirect_pollchange "

The text of the template should be:

You have deleted your vote.  You will be taken to the poll, where you will be allowed to revote.
    Lastly:

Code:
    Edit your "showthread_pollresults_voted" template.

Change the text to:

You have already voted on this poll!
    <BR>If you wish to change your vote, click <a href="poll.php?action=changevote&pollid=$pollinfo[pollid]">here</a>.
    That's it...

Now your users will have the option to erase thier vote and revote. Not <i>quite</i> as elegant as allowing them to actually revote, but it will suffice for now ... at least for me. Someone feel free to expand on this if they want something a bit more robust.

Thanks, and good luck!

-Flare

I apologize if I misundestood the meaning of the hack, but if I understood correctly, there is already a feature to allow users to change their vote

Comment

There's a way to allow users to change their thread ratings, not votes on polls.

Comment

that code is somewhat unclean (select *).

Comment

Oh I see my bad
          Thanks for clearing that up tuebdogg

Originally posted by tubedogg
          There's a way to allow users to change their thread ratings, not votes on polls.

Comment

Jeez... thought this was something a bunch of people wanted Instead... I'm... *sob* ... unclean!

I'll go back in my corner now and eat paint chips

Comment

Nice one thx youuu

Comment

I get a Parse Error

Comment

Originally posted by Aunt Jemima
                  I get a Parse Error
                  Me to

Comment

Where is this error generated? Can you show me a on your system?

Comment

Originally posted by Flare
                      Where is this error generated? Can you show me a on your system?
                      Parse error when woting, and view result
                      Parse error: parse error in C:\HTTPD\upload\poll.php on line 532

Comment

Can you send me your poll.php?

My email is: [email protected]

I haven't tried this with the latest VB, I'm running 2.0.0 ... but I can't imagine anything has changed in poll.php between the two versions.

Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is that you are running it on a windows box compared to my linux box... but I don't think that would affect it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Flare
                          Can you send me your poll.php?

My email is: [email protected]

I haven't tried this with the latest VB, I'm running 2.0.0 ... but I can't imagine anything has changed in poll.php between the two versions.

Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is that you are running it on a windows box compared to my linux box... but I don't think that would affect it either.
                          I dont know much about this but shouldn't the new templates be mentioned in the $templatesused at the top of poll.php?? Did try that but no good,

Comment

No, that $templatesused variable isn't referenced anywhere else in poll.php. To be honest, I'm not even sure why it's there.

I tried installing this hack on a clean copy of poll.php and it worked fine. I have no clue what your issues could be, if you send me a copy of your poll.php, I'll run a compare against mine and see what's different.

Comment

OK here it comes

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X