X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gotcha make sence
    << This Space Intentionally Left Blank >>

Comment

• Here is an odd question. If I have more forums private then public it would be easier for me to on the top just list the ones I want displayed. What would I need to do to change it so it only displays the ones I want. I know I could simply put all the ones I dont want on top but I have a ton of the ones I dont want displayed and just a few of the ones I do want displayed.
      << This Space Intentionally Left Blank >>

Comment

• (This is untested) Make your changes to the top variable and...

Find:
        PHP Code:
        if (eregi("[a-z]",$forumID) or $forumID or 
        strstr($privateForums,"|".$forumID."|")) 
        Replace with:
        PHP Code:
        if (eregi("[a-z]",$forumID) or $forumID or 
        !
        strstr($privateForums,"|".$forumID."|")) 

Find:
        PHP Code:
        while($pf=array_shift($pfs)) {
                if(
        ereg("[0-9]",$pf)) {

if(
        $wherecounter==0) {

$whereclause" WHERE forumid!='$pf'";

$wherecounter++;
                    } else {

$whereclause .= " AND forumid!='$pf'";
                    }
                }
             } 
        Replace with:

PHP Code:
        while($pf=array_shift($pfs)) {
                if(
        ereg("[0-9]",$pf)) {

if(
        $wherecounter==0) {

$whereclause" WHERE forumid='$pf'";

$wherecounter++;
                    } else {

$whereclause .= " AND forumid='$pf'";
                    }
                }
             } 
        vB Retro -> See vBulletin 1.1.2 and travel back to the Year 2000!
        Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
        presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content since vB1.1... now faster than ever!

Comment

• Overgrow, great hack!

I don't know why, but some threads are not displayed.

If I put a link to the archive, at the bottom of myhomepage.com (not forum index) of the same color of the background, so it is invisible, it would be fine to google?

Comment

• Do File Extensions Matter?

This looks great !!

I'd love to get the search engines' notice.

Yesterday I just purchased VBulletin. I am hosted on a server that supports .php, .php3 .phtml, and .php4 (HostRocket). When I went to download from VBulletin, I was faced with this surprise:

Click here to download vBulletin version 2.0.1 with .PHP file extensions (default).

Click here to download vBulletin version 2.0.1 with .PHP3 file extensions.

Well, I chose .PHP3 file extensions, not knowing the differences.

Will your hack work on that version? Should I change to .PHP instead?

Comment

• IIS v5?

Does anyone have this running under IIS? I have set the custom error 404 to point to my /archive/index.php but all I get from the links generated by the hack is:

a) the unparsed php code of /archive/index.php

or

b) 404 file not found (only if I let IIS do the 404 default redirects)

Ideas?

Thanks!!

Comment

• i's change to the .PHP version, it will be better for you in the future.
                http://www.e-tones.co.uk - The best site on the net for mobile phones.

Comment

• i's change to the .PHP version
                  PHP version of what? My homepage? My question pertains more to getting this running under IIS which is handling vB fine, but many of the hacks are intended for unix-based systems. I'm just curious if anyone has my configuration?

Thanks!

Comment

• Thanks, etones. I replaced the php3 version with php. In addition to installing the php files in place of the php3 file, I had to edit my database to replace all the "php3" references with "php". The results were very good!! Just about all my changes were preserved.

Then I went on to install VBSpiderfriend. It is working fine now, but I had the following problems:

1. I had not realized that VB adds a /~databasename folder into the file path. I was trying to make the path work that was in my own directory (not what actually shows up on the URL itself).

2. I had named my archive folder "webarchive" instead of "archive". Before I fixed (1) above, while my first page list of forums showed up fine, when I clicked through, I got a standard 404 file not found error. After I fixed (1) above I got a file not found error right on the front page (this was a different error template...one I had modified for my own site's use). What I learned: the archive folder must have that exact name.

3. Every time I uploaded it, my .htaccess file would disappear without a trace. But I guessed it was there, since it kept overwriting itself and now it is working (though still invisible).

Next for the customizing, the outside links, better Meta tags, etc (the easy parts).

Thanks, Outgrow, for a beauty.
                    Last edited by GMYachtsman; Sun 24th Jun '01, 9:40pm.

Comment

• I have tried every variation I can think of in my .htaccess file and cant seem to get this to work.

Either it will go to http://www.influx9.com/archive/3
                      or http://www.influx9.com/archive/index.php and just relist

I have tried a lot of variations on the .htaccess file.. even just the http://www.influx9.com/archive/index.php (which will make it reload) any ideas what Im doing wrong? My FTP client puts the file at /home/influx9/www/archive/index.php
                      Last edited by Bane; Tue 26th Jun '01, 8:03pm.

Comment

• Bane, read my last post above; then open your Vbulletin board and look at the address in the URL box.

http://www.influx9.com/index.php

Then go to your VBulletin Forums Admin Control panel and look at the URL there:

I don't know what it is, but it will be different.

I think that difference may have the clue you need.

I am not familiar with the code you use to change the web pages (i.e., php? action=forums), but it is really cool. Is that or is your directory structure (archive not being in the forums folder) making a problem? Too early for me to tell, though others probably could. But before wondering any more do what I just had to above.

I am far less expert than the others around here, but I hope that this may help.
                        Last edited by GMYachtsman; Tue 26th Jun '01, 9:01pm.

Comment

• Have a look at this - it may be the 'perfect' alround solution, using a samll script in a customised 404 error page:

http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=21723

Here's the key stuff if you can't be bothered to read all:

that 404 is not complex, I think that's the best content management system...a lot of hosts let you do a custom 404, but most of us will have their own server/clients server for their files I think?

now the script I posted here has nothing to do with the 404 thing, the 404 is just a few lines, you just put

header("Status: 200 OK"); before any html, and then you do:

$url = explode("/",$REQUEST_URl);
                          $page=$url[1];

then you check if that content exists

$content = mysql_query("SELECT content FROM content WHERE page=$page");
                          if (!$content) header ("HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found"); (wich will override the status: 200 OK)

and then you just put the content there!! I didn't test this, but I'm planning to use this if nobody else knows a better content management system, but I believe this is the way it's done. There are peeps using this, so it does work, just not sure all my code is correct ;D

Comment

• Congrats to Eva of Animeboards who now has his vBulletin spidered by Google! He has a good page rank evidently since Google went very deep on only it's first pass. Animeboards now has 11,700 new pages listed in Google with the spiderFriend!

Also to Deadbodies.org who got their spiderFriend noticed, but without much page rank, the bot didn't travel down the links yet. Hopefully next pass...

julius-- do not use invisible links.. if Google notices this, your site will be banned. Better to use a real link, let a few users see it if they must, but keep your position in Google.

Also another note in case you missed it... do not ORPHAN your archive. It MUST be listed as a link from a page that Google already knows (ie, your home page). If you have an orphan archive and submit that link directly to Google, but the bot never finds it's way there itself, your page will never be listed in the search results. Google hates orphans...

edit: changed Eva's gender to more correctly reflect the actual person
                            Last edited by Overgrow; Tue 3rd Jul '01, 11:32am.

Comment

• OverGrow - I haven't really had time to check exactly how you area getting this hack to work but I guess you are doing something with the '404' method I posted two posts up. I did some checking on sitepoint and found some threads by you on how you use this method for most of your site.

Do you think it would be possible to develop your hack further so that these 'perfect' URLs are not only used by search engines but users as well? ie this sort of link is used throughout your vB as standard, and not just an extra trick for getting search engine listed.

It would be really cool if you could use the "<!-- breadcrumb, nav links -->" as the URL eg this post would have a URL like:

vBulletin_Community_Forum/Customising_vBulletin/vBulletin_Code_Hacks/Releases_Version 2.x/vbSpiderFriend_ -_ Search Engine Friendliness/

These would then also be available as for use as dynamic meta keywords.

Cheers
                              Last edited by chilliboy; Tue 3rd Jul '01, 4:58am.

Comment

• oh man dynamic meta keywords inserted as the page name........... BRILLIANT! Google will eat it up...

I dunno when I might get around to implementing this, but I love the idea. Thanks a million, I'll be sure to mention your name if I ever publish the hack.

I do use the 404 trick for the rest of my site including user links... now when people post a link to an article that they've bookmarked, its:

http://www.overgrow.com/article/2/3

(article 2, page 3).. same thing for the FAQ...

I haven't done it with vB yet since it would require a huge overhaul for little benefit (in my eyes). OTOH, Wayne Luke has been modifying the SitePoint forums to do just that. I'm sure a search here or there will find the W.Luke threads on vB urls.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X