X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jarvis
    replied
    IIS v5?

Does anyone have this running under IIS? I have set the custom error 404 to point to my /archive/index.php but all I get from the links generated by the hack is:

a) the unparsed php code of /archive/index.php

or

b) 404 file not found (only if I let IIS do the 404 default redirects)

Ideas?

Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• GMYachtsman
    replied
    Do File Extensions Matter?

This looks great !!

I'd love to get the search engines' notice.

Yesterday I just purchased VBulletin. I am hosted on a server that supports .php, .php3 .phtml, and .php4 (HostRocket). When I went to download from VBulletin, I was faced with this surprise:

Click here to download vBulletin version 2.0.1 with .PHP file extensions (default).

Click here to download vBulletin version 2.0.1 with .PHP3 file extensions.

Well, I chose .PHP3 file extensions, not knowing the differences.

Will your hack work on that version? Should I change to .PHP instead?

Leave a comment:

• julius
    replied
    Overgrow, great hack!

I don't know why, but some threads are not displayed.

If I put a link to the archive, at the bottom of myhomepage.com (not forum index) of the same color of the background, so it is invisible, it would be fine to google?

Leave a comment:

• Overgrow
    replied
    (This is untested) Make your changes to the top variable and...

Find:
    PHP Code:
    if (eregi("[a-z]",$forumID) or $forumID or 
    strstr($privateForums,"|".$forumID."|")) 
    Replace with:
    PHP Code:
    if (eregi("[a-z]",$forumID) or $forumID or 
    !
    strstr($privateForums,"|".$forumID."|")) 

Find:
    PHP Code:
    while($pf=array_shift($pfs)) {
            if(
    ereg("[0-9]",$pf)) {

if(
    $wherecounter==0) {

$whereclause" WHERE forumid!='$pf'";

$wherecounter++;
                } else {

$whereclause .= " AND forumid!='$pf'";
                }
            }
         } 
    Replace with:

PHP Code:
    while($pf=array_shift($pfs)) {
            if(
    ereg("[0-9]",$pf)) {

if(
    $wherecounter==0) {

$whereclause" WHERE forumid='$pf'";

$wherecounter++;
                } else {

$whereclause .= " AND forumid='$pf'";
                }
            }
         } 

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    Here is an odd question. If I have more forums private then public it would be easier for me to on the top just list the ones I want displayed. What would I need to do to change it so it only displays the ones I want. I know I could simply put all the ones I dont want on top but I have a ton of the ones I dont want displayed and just a few of the ones I do want displayed.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    gotcha make sence

Leave a comment:

• Overgrow
    replied
    Doing this would make the display time unbearable I believe. Maybe not if your forum DB is really small.. but if you want to remove the dead weeks you would have to query each week as it is displayed in the list..... adding many many queries to the week-list.

Good idea, easy to implement, but mind-boggingly slow if it's done.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    How could you make this only display the months/weeks when their are posts made.. IE for not popular forums some areas dont get posted often and I would rather the search engine not get the "No posts, please go back.:" phrase so often.

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    Re: IMPORTANT NOTE

Originally posted by Overgrow
    IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR SPIDERFRIENDLY FORUMS:

This little piece of Google info came from a great interview about Google's Page Rank and Term Vectors.

...while Google might spider your site, it won't be added to the database until someone else links to it.

I was guilty of this myself with the vbSpiderFriend here. I didn't want this link to be visible to my users-- or they might start demanding a bloat-free text only version of my forum! So I manually submitted my Archive to Google hoping it would be added to the database.

According to that article (and interview with a head Goog) if a website is an island-- with no links leading into it from anywhere-- it will never be added to the database. So! Lesson learned: you must put a link to your archive somewhere on your site that Google normally indexes each month. Also, your Page Rank will of course be higher since it was found and not submitted.
    hence i linked the my url when i installed your hack to the bottom of my forum pages - i have already been indexed too

Leave a comment:

• Overgrow
    replied
    IMPORTANT NOTE

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR SPIDERFRIENDLY FORUMS:

This little piece of Google info came from a great interview about Google's Page Rank and Term Vectors.

...while Google might spider your site, it won't be added to the database until someone else links to it.

I was guilty of this myself with the vbSpiderFriend here. I didn't want this link to be visible to my users-- or they might start demanding a bloat-free text only version of my forum! So I manually submitted my Archive to Google hoping it would be added to the database.

According to that article (and interview with a head Goog) if a website is an island-- with no links leading into it from anywhere-- it will never be added to the database. So! Lesson learned: you must put a link to your archive somewhere on your site that Google normally indexes each month. Also, your Page Rank will of course be higher since it was found and not submitted.

Leave a comment:

• Jesse69
    replied
    @ Overgrow

php4 ? No chance for this year at my provider ... :-(

looks like the searchengines will not found us anymore ...

Jesse

Leave a comment:

• Overgrow
    replied
    The google update has already happened for last month and the databases appear stabilized across www-www2-www3. Check next month around this time and I'm sure we'll have more VBSFs in there.

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    google is being incredibly slow to index us... um..

Leave a comment:

• Overgrow
    replied
    Hi Jesse,

You need to upgrade from PHP3 to PHP4. The script will work and everything will be faster and more pleasant.

og

Leave a comment:

• Jesse69
    replied
    Ok , seems someone fixed that prob- no I got the Hack , but :
    Fatal error: Call to unsupported or undefined function htmlheader() in /homepages/2/d21873614/htdocs/forum/archive/index.php3 on line 69

any hints ?

Jesse

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X