Moderator of forum, also of subforum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderator of forum, also of subforum?

If I have someone that is a Moderator of a particular forum, and that forum has subforums -- much like the Hacking forum here, and the Requests and Releases subforums -- does the Moderator of the parent forum also have the ability to moderate all the subforums? Or do only people that are specifically assigned as Moderators to the subforums have the ability to moderate those forums?
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    JJR512.com: Chat about anything!

Moderators are inherited. So yes.

Comment

Is there a way to separate a Moderator from a parent forum from a subforum, so he (or she) is only moderator of the parant forum.

Maybe something for the next release?
      Streicher

Comment

Is there a way to separate a Moderator from a parent forum from a subforum?
        No. I fail to see exactly what purpose that would serve -- isn't your subforum related to the parent forum?

Comment

I have another question about subforums...if someone posts in a subforum, and I look at the main page (forumhome) that shows the parent forum, does a new post in a subforum turn on the new post indicator of the parent forum? And will the link, the little arrow, on the forumhome take me to whatever post is newest out of the parent forum AND the subforums?
          -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
            No. I fail to see exactly what purpose that would serve -- isn't your subforum related to the parent forum?
            What a pity. Yes, subforums are related to parentforums, but not automatically the same. If you have a student website and a forum physics and the subforum of physics is astronomy.
            In this situation, when you want moderators who knows a lot of the subject and for a board with high traffic, it would be very helpful to separate the moderators of parent and subforum.
            Streicher

Comment

It sounds like you are assigning Mods based on what they know (which is fine). Physics is a rather broad and general field. If you assign a Mod to that forum, you probably want someone who has a broad and general knowledge of everything related to physics. Astronomy is a more specialized branch of physics. So you assign a Mod to that forum that has specialized knowledge on astronomy. But the Mod of the parent forum, Physics, also knows something about astronomy, because he has general knowledge of all things related to physics. So I don't really see the problem.

It seems to me that subforums are subsets of the parent forum. They are for a more specialized topic. For example, on my board, I have a Hardware forum (computer hardware), and inside it I have two subforums. One is for overclocking, the other is for video cards. These are more specific, more narrow-focused forums, but they still are about computer hardware. I have a Mod of the overclocking forum who knows a lot about overclocking. My Mods of the Hardware forum know a lot about all kinds of hardware and all issues related to hardware. So although they do not deal specifically and only with overclocking, they are still qualified to moderate that forum.
              -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X