This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrispadfield
    Unfortunatly this thread ruins the point of having it installed. a shame.

The simplest solution i think is not to have the image in admin but to have it in index.php. Why? because then if jelsoft suspects the board is suspect they just view the source and see if the image is fill is there with the license number. It would be impossible (yes!) to get away with pirating.
    Sadly Chris that would actually pose a legal problem and I for one would not allow it, since it enables Jelsoft to collect data on my visitors and readership.

Once you place a Jelsoft image in index.php of the public Bulletin Board, Jelsoft can collect - whether they say they won't is irrelevant - log information (IP, country, etc) of all visitors to index.php.

Hence, that poses illegal issues and in any event Jelsoft would have no legal ground to demand webmasters to do that.

Like I said, I for one would forbid it on my BB.

Comment

Jelsoft can do whatever they want with their program. Whether or not you choose to use it is the question.

As far as this subject goes, Jelsoft does have a callhome freature, but for a damn good reason. Now, 4 pages later, the subject has been strangled beyond repair.

Please close this thread.

Comment

I think everything that needs to be said has been said, so I'm going to close this thread here.

If you have any further questions or comments, please direct them via email to the appropriate party.

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
          The simplest solution i think is not to have the image in admin but to have it in index.php. Why? because then if jelsoft suspects the board is suspect they just view the source and see if the image is fill is there with the license number. It would be impossible (yes!) to get away with pirating.
          Unfortunately, this would mean that every time a page loads, the vBulletin server is contacted. If this image was present on every vBulletin, Jelsoft's server would crash instantly. You're talking millions upon millions of requests each day.

Comment

Originally posted by DaBuzz
            Over the past few years, countless numbers of software companies have been caught spying on customers, some relatively innocently and others blatantly invading the privacy of law abiding software owners.
            Spying on people and tracking required information as listed in the license agreement are two different things. If you agree to the license, which you have if you've downloaded the software, then you're willing to give Jelsoft your forum URL. There is no "undue surveillance" going on.
            As individuals, we are all accountable for our actions, but what if those you were accountable for had you under 24 hour watch? An IRS agent outside your house, your boss standing outside your office 8 hours a day, a location monitor that your wife/husband requires that you wear at all times?
            Did you agree to the agent when you got a job?
            Did your boss tell you he was going to stand outside your office when you were interviewed?
            Did your wife tell you to use the location monitor before you got married?

Well, you did agree to give your URL before you installed vBulletin.

I'm certainly not for software piracy and I think the developers deserve to get paid for their product, but I also think that we, as paying customers deserve enough respect not to be spied on, logged, and put under surveillance like common criminals.
            I agree. However, you, as a paying customer, agreed to offer your forum URL to Jelsoft before paying a penny. Also, I think the developers deserve enough respect not to be cheated, stolen from, and flat out robbed by their paying customers who choose to make their copy available on a warez site, or to a friend. You're not being spied on or put under surveillance, but you are blowing this out of proportion.
            Me personally ... I will openly tell you that I will circumvent this surveillance mechanism, not because I'm running an illegal forum (reg number and info avail upon request), but because I whole heartedly oppose the tactics in which these anti-piracy controls have been implemented and resent the profiling in which I am being subject to. (i.e. warez pups steal our forum so let’s spy on everyone because they fit the profile as someone who uses a computer and runs a website in some way.)
            First off, please understand we're not profiling you. In any case, it appears there is nothing preventing you from moving that section of code -- SO LONG AS your correct URL is listed in the members area. If it is not, that can be considered a violation of the license agreement you read and adhered to when placing your order through Digibuy.

Comment

Apologies for repying on a closed thread. I hadn't realized there was a fifth page, and wouldn't have stuck in the last word had I been aware it was closed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X