Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prospective User: Can vB do TOC/hierarchy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospective User: Can vB do TOC/hierarchy?

I am considering a lot of different packages for use on our website at the MIT Anime Club, and I am impressed with vBulletin 2.0's features. However, I want to know if it supports the following:
    Is there a hierarchical display option, so that messages can be organized as in newsgroups? In addition, can members reply to individual posts, or is it one long thread stream? I.e., can someone reply to post 6 of 20, so that it appears indented as post 7? (DCForums supports both extensively, and Jive supports the individual reply.)
    Can data in vBulletin be accessed in other media, such as an NNTP server and an e-mail list? Or, is it web-based only?
    What kind of plugin or extensibility structure allows for this, if it's not available? Has anyone created add-ons with these features?

The main attractions of vBulletin are the extensive profile feature (including avatars), the poll option, and the ratings system. Heck, everything about vBulletin screams quality, but I am looking for those features above if they're available. If not, I would like to see them in a new version, and I'll put a request up on the other forum.

Many thanks,

Sean Leonard
    Public Relations and Treasurer, MIT Anime Club
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Anime!!!!

check out my vB forums for a test run it will answer heaps - http://animeboards.com/index.php?s=

you gotta love Anime
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by SeanTek
      I am considering a lot of different packages for use on our website at the MIT Anime Club, and I am impressed with vBulletin 2.0's features. However, I want to know if it supports the following:
      Is there a hierarchical display option, so that messages can be organized as in newsgroups? In addition, can members reply to individual posts, or is it one long thread stream? I.e., can someone reply to post 6 of 20, so that it appears indented as post 7? (DCForums supports both extensively, and Jive supports the individual reply.)
      Can data in vBulletin be accessed in other media, such as an NNTP server and an e-mail list? Or, is it web-based only?
      What kind of plugin or extensibility structure allows for this, if it's not available? Has anyone created add-ons with these features?

The main attractions of vBulletin are the extensive profile feature (including avatars), the poll option, and the ratings system. Heck, everything about vBulletin screams quality, but I am looking for those features above if they're available. If not, I would like to see them in a new version, and I'll put a request up on the other forum.

Many thanks,

Sean Leonard
      Public Relations and Treasurer, MIT Anime Club
      Massachusetts Institute of Technology
      as to the reply to particular post in a thread this is a demonstration of reply with quote there ain't no indenting i know of

As to the newsgroup there is a hack i believe check the hacking forum
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

What made you decide?

Eva2000, I was just wondering what made you decide on vBulletin. I am pretty much focusing now on vBulletin vs. DCForum. Even though vBulletin has a lot of bells and whistles, it seems to me that DCForum is positioned as a product for more "mature" audiences. Although I want to encourage fun fan culture as much as possible, the MIT Forum will also be used to carry on serious discussions of anime as an art and industry, much like AnimeOnDVD. Of course, AnimeOnDVD uses DCForum for that very reason.

So, my question is, were you looking at DCForum at all? What made you choose vB?

(I was going to e-mail you directly, but your e-mail is not displayed.)

Comment

yeah i looked at DC forum but it didn't have what i what .. i don't like threaded discussions like dc forum has and it didn't have the search and view new and daily topic functions i need...

that and the fact that php/mysql is faster

today i had 267 users on my forum and it's flying

Also if you ask any vb owner discussion/participation increases 3 - 10 fold once they changed to vB .. i use to use ezboard and in 10months got 200 members and 30,000 posts, changed to vB and in 9 months have 2400+ members and 225,000+ posts !!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X