Password Protect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Protect

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to password protect a certain forum so that only those users knowing the password can get in. But I can't seem to find any way of doing this in the control center. Can this be done?
    Thanks

P

At the moment this isn't possible. All you can do is make a forum private and then set permissions for the appropriate users to access it.

Comment

This function will not be insert soon
      maybe after a stable version

Comment

is there a hack cos the preivate permissions are not working

Comment

oh gosh, I hope they never switch to password protection. It's the lamest "security" there is.

Comment

i dont care what way i get into em i just need a private access for clan members

Comment

You can set up a new user group for your clan members. Then change the forum permissions, that only the clan members can access the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by bira
                oh gosh, I hope they never switch to password protection. It's the lamest "security" there is.
                sure,but is much much easiest!

Comment

Originally posted by jojo85

sure,but is much much easiest!
                  Just short term !

Do you want to change passwords for every change of user that lost the permission to the forum?
                  Think about a clan-forum (as in the current question): Somebody leaves the clan - you have to change the password, mail the new pass to every other user. Some clans have quite a high fluctuation (nature of a game - it's exciting at the beginning, new games appear and members aren't interested any longer - you've got to kick them out)

Longt term it's far better to just remove somebody from a Usergroup - ready, done!

Comment

Originally posted by Sven

Just short term !

Do you want to change passwords for every change of user that lost the permission to the forum?
                    Think about a clan-forum (as in the current question): Somebody leaves the clan - you have to change the password, mail the new pass to every other user. Some clans have quite a high fluctuation (nature of a game - it's exciting at the beginning, new games appear and members aren't interested any longer - you've got to kick them out)

Longt term it's far better to just remove somebody from a Usergroup - ready, done!
                    It's what i say!
                    Forum permission is secure but very long when many members have the permission
                    Forum password is not secure but very easy!

Comment

Well, we're a Command&Conquer Board (still on vB1, waiting for the final of vB2) but there's not a problem with the administration of private forums.
                      I just receive an email from the clan leader with the name of a new/to be removed member, I simply add/remove the name from the usergroup....
                      That's simple.

you just may get into a little trouble if you have multiple permissions (user abc has permission to get into forum x, user xyz has permission to get into forum y and forum x and so on)

Comment

you don't get into trouble in vB2. The whole usergroup and forum permissions was simplified and made a whole lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by bira
                          you don't get into trouble in vB2. The whole usergroup and forum permissions was simplified and made a whole lot easier.
                          Yes,that is right!

Comment

yea fixed etc but my members keep getting loged out they have cookies on etc what wrong help plz

Comment

what do cookies have to do with usergroups??

You probably changed the cookie settings - domain and/or dir - which means the previous cookies were not deleted.

Tell your users to MANUALLY delete your cookies from their computer, and after that they will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X