View New Posts feature not working properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• View New Posts feature not working properly

I have been wondering if my view new posts feature was working properly It always seems to have worked well. Recently, I go to the forum and it only lists one or two, yet when I look in the forums, there are a lot more. I am not logging out during any of this.

Then I got a note from a user:

I went through the usual steps to View New Posts and got "Invalid search specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster.” I decided to try again later. When I finally got back to my computer this afternoon after an extended weekend, the same thing happened. As instructed, I am notifying the Webmaster.

Can you offer me any useful thoughts about what may be causing either of these things to occur? I am running 2.3.5, after a recent upgrade, though I can't say that these problems correlate with the upgrade timing.

Thank you....

There's no bug in 2.3.5 that would cause this that I'm aware of. Have you installed any hacks (including portals) or added any code to the headinclude, header or phpinclude templates?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

No hacks of any kind at all..... because I have not wanted to lose support from you good folks.

Comment

Have you tried using the original templates and style? If you have not installed any hacks (which includes portals), fill out a support ticket at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/mem...ontactform.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I was reminded of this by my technical person: we have two modified templates (header, and forumhome). The templates you mention have never been touched. I did not revert the two custom templates since they have not changed since the prior version.

Does that change your thinking at all?

Comment

Not really. As I said have you tried using the original templates and style?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Steve, can you explain what controls how many posts are listed in the view new posts window? My experience has been that if I do not click the mark this forum read link, posts will remain on the view new posts list even after I have viewed them, which I think is a good thing.

What effect does it have if you login at two different computers during the day? Do the two computers see different numbers of new posts? I use two computers during the day, and many of my users do, as well.

I am trying to decide how much of what people have criticized is appropriate, and what would be malfunction.

Comment

In my experience, those posts will be the ones since you last logged in or since you clicked on the Mark Read link.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X