vB2 upgrade question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vB2 upgrade question

My technical person entered essentially this line of questioning last night, or quite recently, and got an e-mail that did not answer the questions, and instead, provided a link to a procedure that did not answer the questions.

So..... I am going to try this again, please....

We are currently running vBulletin 2.3.0. According to the 2.3.5 release notes: "...you can simply use the updated memberlist.php and forumdisplay.php from this version to obtain the security fix."

Given this statement, we noticed there is at least one query in the newer code, and would like to be assured that updating only these two files will not have any negative effect for the 2.3.0 installation.

Regarding the 2.3.5 upgrade (our first): Through the admin panel, we plan to disable the forum and backup the database before uploading the new version and running the upgrade scripts. Is there any concern about users accessing forum php files during the upgrade process?

We realize users will be locked out of the database, but we also assume a dB query is necessary for that to occur (perhaps not). With the database being modified during the upgrade, is user interaction with the forum of any concern?

Please advise if you have a recommended procedure should this be a potential problem. Your upgrade procedure doesn't address the need to lock the database, though I would think this should be done as a minimum precaution to avoid any conflict.

Regarding templates, we have a few custom templates. You state that custom templates will not be effected by an upgrade, but then say you should "revert" any you have changed. Is the default reversion necessary before the upgrade, or simply a precaution?

Lastly, your upgrade procedure doesn't mention changing the new config.php file for database access, etc. I'm sure anyone who originally installed vBulletin would know this, but it is probably worth a mention in the upgrade notes.

It would be very helpful if you would answer these questions.

Thanks for your assistance.

Originally posted by bigsnowdog
    According to the 2.3.5 release notes: "...you can simply use the updated memberlist.php and forumdisplay.php from this version to obtain the security fix."
    That assumes you are upgrading from 2.3.4, not 2.3.0. You will need to completely upgrade to 2.3.5.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      That assumes you are upgrading from 2.3.4, not 2.3.0. You will need to completely upgrade to 2.3.5.
      That is all you have to say in response to the several questions I asked?

Would you please have a look at my opening post again and answer the questions?

Comment

I'm not sure what the confusion is. Perhaps I just don't understand what you are asking. Besides I did answer much of this already in your support ticket.

You can upload the memberlist.php and forumdisplay.php files from 2.3.5 to see if they work with your 2.3.0 forum. They are not designed to work with 2.3.0 but maybe they will. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

As for the question about config.php, I answered this in your support ticket. There are no changes in config.php between versions 2.3.0 and 2.3.5. There are major changes in the vB3 config.php file.

I also answered the question about the templates in your support ticket - or at least I thought I did. You do not have to revert your custom templates prior to upgrading. The upgrade procedure will not overwrite them. However after upgrading you should look at the announcements for all the version since the version you upgraded from to see which templates have changed and which ones require reverting.

And finally, you should shut down your forums when upgrading. If the upgrade instructions don't mention this, then they should. There is no been any need to 'lock' the database, nor have I heard of any problems resulting from not locking the db prior to upgrading.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X