Question about session hash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about session hash

Unfortunately I'm still not ready to upgrade to vB3 since certain scripts I use are dependant on vB2 however I'm still working on optimizing a few things around my site, your answers will come real handy... my question was the following:

What would happen if I removed the session hash part of the URLs for displaying forum categories and threads (forumhome & forumdisplay templates)?

For example I would use:
    "forumdisplay.php?forumid=$forum[forumid]"
    instead of the default:
    "forumdisplay.php?s=$session[sessionhash]&forumid=$forum[forumid]"

Could that cause a problem with users browsing through my forums?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Julio Franco
    TechSpot.com

It shouldn't be a problem, but .. remove it from a few pages and try it out!

Comment

That will cause a problem for users who rely on the sessionhash. Users who don't use cookies will be logged out when they click on a link without a sessionhash.

Comment

Hmm I see, in that case you would recommend waiting until I move to vB3 that doesn't make any use of the session hash in the URL? My main purpose was using mod rewrite for making search engine friendly URLs.
        Julio Franco
        TechSpot.com

Comment

vB3 is cool that way. It only uses the sessionhash when necessary, and it automatically removes the sessionhash from URLs for search spiders that are browsing your forums.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X