Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tubedogg
    replied
    are they killing it in both the free & the paid, Open Topic, version?
    The UBB is hardly free. The free version of the UBB is just a server test, and then if it works you can install the version you pay for. Open Topic is a completely different system, and I don't know enough about it to answer your question about that.

Leave a comment:

• leibhart
    replied
    i'm glad vbulletin isnt yahoo/egroups. in fact that's what im moving off of. BUT yahoo/egroups isnt the only software that offers this feature. web crossing does. im surprised to hear UBB is killing it (are they killing it in both the free & the paid, Open Topic, version?).

yes a board is different than yahoo groups is different than a mailing list but they all have things to offer. we shouldnt think of things in a "well this is a board which means you must go to a website and do these board like things". we need to offer ways to communicate.

just because a large corporation such as egroups/yahoo, has a feature doesnt mean its horrible.

there's definitely reasons for having this feature. just depends on ur audience. my audience has asked for it and i hope it is something that gets added to the feature list again.

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Again, I'm going on memory here, but I think it's cause vB isn't a Yahoo! Groups-thing, it's a message board. (OK I know that sounded *****y, but it's not how I meant it. ) That feature has even been removed from UBB6. I think the point is a message board is different from the Y!G type of system.

Leave a comment:

• leibhart
    replied
    thanks for the info.

i found the privacy thing btw. under one of the settings in the control panel... um forget where exactly, there's an entry field for the url that goes to your privacy policy. so upload it separately & then link to it there.

its a shame about the email ability. i like the email ability because people travel & its easier to read messages when you download them on the road rather than have to get to the site. and because my audience is european and have to pay fairly high internet call charges to read messages. wonder why this feature isnt closer to the top of the to do list? thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    For the registration rules, edit the signupadult template.

I'm not sure which privacy statement you're talking about...

The Yahoo! Groups-type post-by-email has been discussed, and it's definitely not going to be in v2. Who knows what's down the road, but I believe they said it wasn't real high on the list.

Hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• leibhart
    started a topic registration, privacy & mailing lists

registration, privacy & mailing lists

I'm trying to find the settings/page were you can change the registration rules (registration is free, coppa choice, reserve the right to remove, edit posts). I want to change the text on this page but didnt see it anywhere in the tempates.

ditto the privacy statement. where do i go to change that?

i dont know if this is something ive missed or on the enhancement list but it would be great to incorporate a mailing list into the software. ie people could contribute to the forum via email (think of the yahoo/egroups post by email or web way).

thanks