Hacked, Can't See Posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacked, Can't See Posts

This morning my forum was somehow hacked. I just happened to be in the admincp at the time so I was able to change my username and password. That didn't work so I had to delete the moderator usergroup and set the cookies to time out. That seems to have taken care of it. Unfortunately, I can't see any of my posts! The individual forums are not there either. The vBulletin is still saying they are there though. I checked the admin log and several templates were deleted so now the threads and the forums don't seem to be showing up. What is the problem and how do I fix this?

From the adminlog:

template.php removeset templatesetid=6
    template.php killset templatesetid=8
    template.php removeset templatesetid=8
    template.php killset templatesetid=9
    template.php removeset templatesetid=9
    template.php killset templatesetid=10
    template.php removeset templatesetid=10
    Last edited by NjEcTiOn; Sat 26 Jun '04, 10:36am.

Please make a new support ticket through the member area with your details to the forum, we can try to login and see what might require to be done in order to get things in order again for you.

Comment

thnx

Comment

I was also hacked last night/this morning and while the problem has been fixed, I fear it could easily happen again. This is from a PM a member sent me:

They used some sort of destruction code dedicated to outdated vbulletins. XP10_hackers after searching I found was a vbulletin itself dedicated to hacking...and it's all unfortunately in Arab.
        My forumhome template was replaced by a message from these XP10 people and some forums completely wiped. Could that be true, about the destruction code? I still use v2.3.0.

Comment

Yes, older versions have some known exploits. That is why newer 2.3.x releases have been issues since. I advice to upgrade to 2.3.5

Comment

Eep. I'll have to try to do that, then, thanks.

Comment

Import a backup, pre-hack.
              Upgrade to 2.3.5 or 3.0.1

Change all staff passwords
              add .htaccess to the admin control panel and mod control panel directory with a different user/pass then used on the forums.

.htaccess deny the ips that have been naughty.

Comment

I have limited knowledge of these things :$ but I can follow instructions very well and I'm not afraid of going into files. Is there somewhere you can point me that describes how to "add .htaccess to the admin control panel and mod control panel directory with a different user/pass then used on the forums."?

Comment

http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml

Comprehensive guide to .htaccess

Comment

Thanks, that should be a great help.

Comment

I got hacked too... managed to restore most of it, but it was an arduous process of recreating the individual forums.

I'd like to upgrade, but I no longer have access to a newer version of vbulletin.

Comment

You just need to renew and you'll get this access.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I thought that's the reply I'd get! :-)

Comment

My site was also hacked by the same group.

However, I was not online at the time, so I have access to nothing.

What steps can I take to regain control of things?

Comment

Please start your own thread with all the relevant details - vB version, what you do and do not have access to, the URL, etc.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Working...
                              X