A few questions about a transfer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions about a transfer...

I'm currently running vB 2.3.0 and I'm in the process of transferring my database to a new host. The hitch is that the current host doesn't allow SSH access (although my new one does). Restoring the tables doesn't seem to be a problem (thanks to some helpful posts here) and I managed to backup nearly all of the tables via phpMyAdmin.

The lone exception is the searchindex table, which timed out after 8 MB, 30 MB, and 19 MB respectively during three attempts (I really wanted to pull my hair out after the second one). At this point, I'm not sure I'm going to get a complete download. So, if I just transferred the structure and not the data, would my board still be able to function (without search capabilities)? Would I be able to reindex the forum on the new space (where SSH backups are possible) or would it have to wait until I upgraded to vB 3.0.1 like the similar thread listed here? (I plan on upgrading to 2.3.5 first since I ran into trouble the last time I tried to go straight to 3.0.0)

My second question is-- does it matter whether I upload the sql files to my space as ASCII or Binary? I wasn't thinking and restored three tables as Binary files already. Should I delete them and redo it?

Thanks.

Martin

Third question. When restoring the customavatar table through SSH on my new server, I received the following error:

PAGER set to stdout
    ERROR at line 30: Unknown command '\Z'.

A "customavatar" table was still created in the new database, however (although i'm not sure if it's complete). Any ideas as to what that was?

Martin

Comment

1. You don't need the searchindex table data - just the structure. You can rebuild the searchindex after the move.

2. Also upload these in ASCII, not Binary.

3. How were you restoring this table exactly?
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks for your help-- great news.

I uploaded the customavatar.sql file to my root folder then ran the SSH command:

mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD DATABASENAME < customavatar.sql

(same command I used for all the rest.)

Martin

Comment

Then most likely this is a problem with that sql backup file. Either it wasn't made correctly or it wasn't uploaded in ASCII. I'd try making a new one.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Okay, I'll do that, thanks.

Unfortunately, I have another question.

After I "finished" transferring the sql files (obviously need to go back now), I uploaded all of the PHP files for vB 2.3.0 (with the changed config.php) to see if the transfer worked. I was greeted with the following message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: phperror_reporting() in /home/USER/public_html/forums/index.php on line 1

Do you know if this is an error with the database (incomplete transfer?) or with the path in the config.php file? (if database, do you know which table would be responsible?)

Thanks again.

Martin

Comment

That function does not appear anywhere in the vB 2.3.0 files. Which files have you uploaded and what are you trying to do when you get this error? Have you installed any hacks?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

No hacks whatsoever. The only files uploaded in that directory/subdomain are the ones in the upload folder for vBulletin 2.3.0 (sans the images folder, install.php, and upgradeX.php). All I'm doing is trying to access the forum's main page (http://forums.mydomain.com). Is this something I need to take up with my host? (I know others successfully run vB off of this host.)

Martin
                Last edited by Martin22; Mon 7 Jun '04, 12:11am.

Comment

A new sql backup of customavatar still had the same problem, so I only transferred the structure and that seemed to go through okay. I assume it just means those with avatars will have to reset them.

On the Fatal Error problem-- my host said it was a error in the PHP and suggested upgrading, so I downloaded vB 2.3.5 (brief stop before 3.0.1) and uploaded all of the fresh files. I still get the same error. So, is this something my host will have to deal with? (It doesn't sound like it could be an incomplete database transfer?)

One thing I forgot to mention-- there is a "CGI-BIN" directory put in my forums subdomain by default. But, other than that, only the files in the upload folder are on the space.

Trying to access my admin CP directly yields a similar, but different error:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '{' in /home/USER/public_html/forums/admin/index.php on line 1

(USER replaced with my account's login)

Thanks again.

Martin

Comment

Can you still access the Admin CP? If so, open the Server Settings and Optimization Options section and turn on the Public phpinfo() Display Enabled setting. Then provide the URL to your forums. This may help us troubleshoot this problem.

If not, create a text file with this content:
                    PHP Code:
                    <?php
                    phpinfo
                    ();
                    ?>
                    Name it 'phpinfo.php' then upload it to your forum directory and post the URL here.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I uploaded phpinfo.php just as you said and it was turning back the same error. I checked with my host again and he asked about my FTP program (which is the one built into AOL) and suggested that it was deleting spaces in the PHP files. I tested it out with phpinfo.php by reuploading the file with Fetch and it worked just fine. So, I reuploaded all of the vB files with Fetch and now everything is working just fine.

Problem solved.

Thanks for the help! You guys are always great.

Martin

Comment

Working...
                      X