What does the subscribe to this forum mean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the subscribe to this forum mean

via the text just under the post new thread icon? Is it a digest feature?

not really a digest feature, but look into your profile and you can see all threads you have subscribed.
    Streicher

Comment

he is talking about "subscribe to forum"

this lists the form in the user's control panel. phpmyadmin shows a field for "email updates" or something suggesting that in the future a notification of a new thread will also be sent if you subscribe to that forum but i don't think this has been coded yet.
      Christopher Padfield
      Web Based Helpdesk
      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

huh?

OK, let me ask this more specifically. In the usenet world, "subscribing" to a "newsgroup" does not have that much meaning. In most newsreaders, it just means this will show up in your personal list of "subscribed" groups. No info is sent to the server.

In vb, something is sent to the server ( I think, unless it's cookies, which I doubt because this should move when you login from a different server).

So is the subscription refer to getting email updates, or only that it shows up in a list like in usenet?

Comment

at the moment: only show up in a list
          in the future: email subscriptions (i think)
          Christopher Padfield
          Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

oh. I had thot it was an email subscription. That definitely needs to be clearer. If I don't get it, my users definitely won't.

Comment

email does get sent, though

as i recall, email does get sent every time a reply is made if you are subscribed to a thread or everytime a post is made if you are subscribed to a forum. i think this is what the email updates field is for (i haven't looked at the tables lately, but...)

hope this helps

Comment

Re: email does get sent, though

Originally posted by tubedogg
                as i recall, email does get sent every time a reply is made if you are subscribed to a thread or everytime a post is made if you are subscribed to a forum. [clip]
                Is this true? Is email sent for any new posts if you are subscribed to a forum? If so, it's not working for me and I need to know where to look to fix it. I'd love this feature. Other mail to me seems to work fine.

Thanks,

-Tim
                Tim Hewitt
                myOstrich Internet - Domain Management & Internet Services
                myOstrich Golf - When it comes to golf, we don't have our heads in the sand.

Comment

no this is not the case. Currently subscribing to a forum has no affect in generating email notifications for new threads or new posts. I hope this is something that will be added (new threads) but at the moment it is not.
                  Christopher Padfield
                  Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

So vB developers, is there a plan to add subscription-type notification in the future?

One of the things that WebBBS supports today is a mailing of new posts to you if you are subscribed. As I'm switching from WebBBS to vBulleting, I know some of my users will miss this feature. The only time they actully visit the board is to reply to a post that they found interesting after reading it in email.

If this is not in the plan, would I be in any danger of conflicting with vB plans by implementing something like this myself? It seems fairly straight forward: Run a cron job every so often that pulls the messages out of the database and sends them to a distribution list of subscribers.
                    Tim Hewitt
                    myOstrich Internet - Domain Management & Internet Services
                    myOstrich Golf - When it comes to golf, we don't have our heads in the sand.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X