No announcement yet.

vBulletin Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morgo: Thanks....I made sure I wasn't logged into the Admin Demo (thought I might have been yesterday), but I still see the bulbs lit and they won't go away.....I guess I've just gotten spoiled by the UBB's bulbs....they *only* light up if there are new posts since [i]the last time [b]I[/b] visited[/i] weather I visited a year ago or two hours ago.....this timed thing just doesn't make since to me.....on even a moderatly active board, all the bulbs would stay lit [i]all the time[/i]. And as Jess stated, you can't lower the time as this would only get rid of the bulbs before you even had a chance to see that there was a new post.....hmmmmmm

The threads in a forums have the same issue (normal vs. red) then a new post has been made to a thread.

This is what I see at the top here (even though I've re-logged in and refreshed the main forums page - I even got the "all your cookies have been cleared" msg.):
    [quote]Welcome back [i]kozmic[/i]. You last visited: 05-25-2000. 01:52 PM[/quote]
    I'm sure this has something to do with this issue?

[Edited by kozmic on 05-26-2000 at 08:25 AM]

Comment

errm. Not sure what the problem could be. Perhaps it is a problem with your ISP's cache, or even your own cache?

Comment

uh oh...here we go again.....

Actually I've *never* had this problem before with *any* UBB board while using Netscape....only intermitanly using IE5 with a UBB version 5.40 or higher.

Are you now saying that the vB's bulbs should be working as I've been asking? And that they aren't timed? Please can someone clear this up once and for all.....yesterday Jessica was saying that it was normal and that the bulbs come on for a certain period of time, [b]"instead of "expiring" after you refresh a few times, they expire after a set amount of time."[/b] (talking about the cookies, but in a previous post she was saying that the bulbs being lit had something to do with the cookies....I always thought it was the cached page compared to the page at the site that determined weather the bulbs lit or not - and that your last visited date/time had something to do with it as well)

This should make it easy:

What causes the bulbs to light and what causes them to not light.....or when are they supposed to go away?

-jason s.

[Edited by kozmic on 05-26-2000 at 08:29 AM]

Comment

I guess I really shouldnt comment...because the truth is I don't know!

I have noticed that on my [url=208.56.39.244/index.php]test forum[/url] that the lightbulbs go on when there are new messages to read.

Sorry if I mislead you at all...im all confused about the issue too now! LOL! At least in a few weeks/months time we shall be able to consider ourselves vB experts! heheh

Comment

morgo: no prob....thanks for trying anyway....to tel you the truth.....it probably wouldn't bother me if my site hadn't been running this way (well - just about all UBB's function this way with the "new post" bulbs) since I put it up.....anyone else?

btw: your link doesn't work....;)

Comment

Ack! the url= tag doesnt seem to like IP addresses which I have no other option but to use until my name transfer updates on the DNS.

Try this: [url]http://208.56.39.244/index.php[/url]

Comment

Look at this first

you may want to take a look at ub2k [url]http://www.ub2k.com[/url] before making you choice

Comment

[quote][i]Originally posted by kozmic[/i]
                  [b]Morgo: Thanks....I made sure I wasn't logged into the Admin Demo (thought I might have been yesterday), but I still see the bulbs lit and they won't go away.....I guess I've just gotten spoiled by the UBB's bulbs....they *only* light up if there are new posts since the last time I visited weather I visited a year ago or two hours ago.....this timed thing just doesn't make since to me.....on even a moderatly active board, all the bulbs would stay lit all the time. And as Jess stated, you can't lower the time as this would only get rid of the bulbs before you even had a chance to see that there was a new post.....hmmmmmm[/b][/quote]

The new post indicators on this installation of vB are a little messed up right now, since it's running the 1.1.2 beta code. This doesn't happen on the stable release. Check out [url="http://www.were-here.com/forums/index.php"]my forum[/url] and you will see how the new post indicators work just fine. :)

In a nutshell, vB will only display new posts since you've last visited. If any new posts are made while you are browsing, they will be marked as new as well. If you have been inactive for a set interval of time, your new post indicators will be reset (the equivelent of refreshing a few times on the UBB). :)
                  We're Here Forums!
                  jessica@webstyles.net

Comment

Thanks, I'm still investigating....(btw: you only have to refresh *once* - not "a couple of times" under the UBB)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X