Resetting new post indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resetting new post indicators

I seem to be having difficulty with the way the gray/yellow icons work, that indicate there is a new unread post in the forum. Or the individual icons inside the forum.

First, let me say that I am a recent UBB migrant, so I'm probably still thinking in terms of my experience with that. Please point out if I'm missing any of the conceptual differences.

When I go to my message board, the indicators indicate new unread posts. I go read them all, then go back to the main page of the vB (the forum list page). But there doesn't seem to be a way for me to get the indicators to change to show that I've read everything.

With UBB, I could click the big UBB logo, like the vBulletin logo, or click the refresh button, or a few other ways, and all the lightbulbs would turn off. But with vB, none of this seems to work.

I'm not the only one; several other people have complained about this. Although one person sais it works fine, but I don't know if he knows what he's talking about.

I'm also wondering if this has anything to do with the cookie timeout option or whatever it is in the CP. The default is 900 seconds. I don't understand what it's for, or what relevance it has to my main problem here.

Can someone explain these things to me? Thanks!
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    JJR512.com: Chat about anything!

The cookie timeout option allows you to set an inactive time limit basically. So 900 seconds in your case of inactivity will reset the cookie. :)
    We're Here Forums!
    [email protected]

Comment

So are you saying that I have to wait 900 seconds before read posts are marked as read? Do I have to actually do nothing for 900 seconds? And after 900 seconds, do ALL posts get marked as read, or only the ones I've actually read? Or only the ones that were unread when I got to the message board? What if someone replies to a post that I've read during the 900 seconds? When I go back, will the topic be marked as having something new? What happens if I start reading posts in my first forum, but it takes me longer than 900 seconds to get to my last forum. Will all the posts in the last forum get set to read because I haven't looked there in 900 seconds?

Why can't this be handled just like UBB? That was one part of UBB that actually worked the way it should have.

Maybe I just don't understand the point, or benefit, if there is one, of the timeout.

So there is no way for me to get all the forums to switch to being marked as all read, like I could with UBB?

Is there any way to fix vB so in this matter it works better (i.e., like UBB)?
      -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

Actually it works just fine in my opinion!

The UBB's cookies are actually the ones that are broke. They are not supposed to be reset by clicking the logo, that happens to just be a bug of their software that you like. ;)
        [url]http://www.scriptkeeper.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/001307.html[/url]

These cookies will not time out on you if you are actively using it between the timeout time set. So you have to actually be inactive completely for the time set. :)
        We're Here Forums!
        [email protected]ebstyles.net

Comment

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by werehere [/i]
          Actually it works just fine in my opinion![/QUOTE]

Actually it took me a little while to get used to how vB handles sessions vs UBB... but I have to say vB is MUCH better.... especially since you can log in from any computer and it knows which posts are new. However, it would be nice to have a link somewhere to manually timeout your session, because I know sometimes I'll go through and read an entire board, then I will want to see what was posted while I was busy reading the first batch of posts.

-Chris

Comment

OK, so I may not like it, but I guess we have to live with it. So, on the one hand, all I have to do is stay off the forums for 900 seconds, and all posts that were marked as unread when I got to the board will get reset to read, correct? Do I have to logout for this?

I guess my other concern is that sometimes I am interrputed while browsing the board, and there are new posts that I haven't gotten to yet. But, if I get called away for more than 900 seconds before I get to them, they'll be marked as read, and I might overlook them.

So, the smaller I set that variable to, the quicker things will be reset and I won't have to wait so long. But, it means it's more likely I'll miss things if I have to go answer the phone or something. Or, I could set it longer, and virtually eliminate the chance that being away for a little while will mark unread posts as read simply because I didn't look at them in time, but it'd also mean I have to stay off the board for a lot longer just to get read ones marked as read. And I supose the makers of vB feel that 900 seconds, 15 minutes, is a good compromise?
            -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

I guess what I'm really concerned about is this. If I read my forums from top to bottom, there might be replies to stuff in the top forum by the time I get to the bottom. So when I am done in the bottom and back out to the forum list, all the same indicators are still set at unread, but I have no way of knowing if there are any new replies in the first forums or not. With UBB, when I back out of the last forum, if I clicked on the UBB logo, if there were no new replies in the forums I'd been in, they would get marked as read, but if there were new replies since I'd been there last, the indicator would still remain at unread. With vB, this won't happen. I have to wait 900 seconds of doing nothing at all for the indicators to reset, and then they all reset, even the posts I haven't read yet, and I might miss them. I don't see the advantage or benefit of that.
              -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert

Comment

I've had the cookie timeout before I finished reading all the new messages, but it's no big deal... I just look at the "your last visit was at such-n-such time" under the welcome message and read everything after that time. Besides, if I miss something, and it was worth reading :D , someone else will comment on it and bring it back to the top of the list.

Comment

actually, the best one for handling sessions is W3T. You can miss reading a topic, log in and out several times for days on end and the topic(s) you didn't look at will still show unread.

that, to me, is the best way to handle sessions :)
                  Webmaster:
                  @forumz

Comment

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Martin [/i]
                    that, to me, is the best way to handle sessions :) [/QUOTE]

Yeah but don't they have to store all of that information somehow? Each post you have or haven't read? Depending on how it is done, that could be some massive overhead on the database. Of course done efficently, that is the ideal way to handle things!

Comment

I've been to a lot of sites running W3T and I didn't notice any lag due to this feature. I had considered going with W3T before this project came about and I'm glad I waited. :)
                      Webmaster:
                      @forumz

Comment

I personally find it hard to read every message we get these days (500 a day) but if I am tracking a particular message, I turn on email notification and let the system tell me.

If I am tracking a particular forum at the moment, I will read the "Last Posted By" column to accurately determine if I had read the newest messages already.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X