This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin vs. phpBB

I have been considering using vBulletin on my site but I was wondering what kind of advantages it has over something like [url="http://216.74.85.204"]phpBB[/url]. Is it any more powerful, customizable, flexible, etc. than phpBB is? What really makes vBulletin worth $160 when I could get a similar product for free by going with phpBB?

Thanks for your comments.

There are many advantages that vBulletin has. For one, the community surrounding vBulletin is amazing. Secondly, a commercial script will always offer far superior support, impovements, and features. Anybody can take the features of one script, and put them into their own.

There are a whole bunch of free scripts out there. IMO, phpBB is by far the worst out of all of them. vBulletin is here, and will be constantly evolving. To me, free BBS scripts are like school projects. 9 times out of 10 they were coded by someone who was teaching themselves the language it was written in. Additionally, as is the case with any product, you get what you pay for. Sites that want a superior message board program will shell out the $160.

As far as features, play around with this board. Download the Lite version. Play on the version 2 demo for a glimpse of the future of vBulletin. You will soon see the advantages that this program has over free scripts.

-jim

Comment

I have installed phpBB a week or so ago, and found it to be totally lacking in the state it is in. A lot of features currently do not work, and I found it to be just another free BBS script out there. I really do not see it as a comparison forum to VB.

VB is a great peice of forum software! I know because I run it on a large forum of mine, and have tested almost all others out there ;)
      We're Here Forums!
      [email protected].net

Comment

Apart from the IP/User banning feature (which should be implemented very soon) what features didn't work for you?

Comment

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Uncle [/i]
          [B]Apart from the IP/User banning feature (which should be implemented very soon) what features didn't work for you? [/B][/QUOTE]

not on par with vB YET, maybe just another bbs now, but it's really promising, only the future will tell! worth a close watch...

Comment

Yes but my original question directed at werehere was:

What features didn't work for him? If he meant that there were features that he wanted that weren't there I would like that clarification.

Comment

Why? So that they can be added to a future version of phpBB?

-jim

Comment

Do keep in mind phpBB is still in beta. And has only been in production for 6 months, being worked on an average of 3 hours a week by people who aren't being paid to make this. Your developers recieve pay checks for their work.

And as far as support goes, support for phpBB is very good. The developers are readily available on the phpBB forums for support of any kind. Whether it be database problems, or a typo in one script.

I highly doubt you'd see the VB developers open to suggestion on how/what features are developed. 90% of the time features are pre-approved and can only be implemented later on via hacks. phpBB developers are widely open to suggestions on how/what features are to be implemented.

I would like to see some more opinions from people around here who have used both, and aren't VB enthusiants.

Comment

Jim F I am just asking werehere to elaborate what doesn't work on the current version of phpBB. He made a broad statement indicating that phpBB had features that didn't work. I would like to know what features he didn't get to work. As for trying to fish for new ideas that wasn't my intent. I just want a list of what doesn't work in the current version. other than IP banning I have nothing broken on my version of phpBB.

Comment

From [url]http://www.phpbb.com/credits.php[/url]

[quote]Uncle Scroter - Bug Hunter[/quote]

Using the vBulletin forums to bug hunt your own product. That's professional, really...

[quote]I highly doubt you'd see the VB developers open to suggestion on how/what features are developed[/quote]

Defender, you have a very misconceived notion about the way that that vBulletin works. When vBulletin first came out, the first few months were really exciting. I remember making a suggestion, and having it be put in the very next release of the software.

John, the vBulletin develop[b]er[/b] (notice that is singular) is very open to all suggestions. In fact, they put an alpha version of the next generation of vBulletin online so that the users could use it, suggest features and such. They even opened special forums just for that purpose. So for you to say that the developers of vBulletin would not be open to suggestions and improvements you are grossly mislead, and that is unfortunate.

vBulletin arose from the community, and it remains as such. All suggestions are taken to heart. Just look at the version 2 alpha - 99% of features that have been suggested by the vBulletin community are being implemented in the next version.

Originally it served as an alternative to the UBB, and added the functionality of all of the most popular hacks.

[quote]And as far as support goes, support for phpBB is very good. The developers are readily available on the phpBB forums for support of any kind[/quote]

I had to click on three "We've moved" links to get to those forums...

Why don't you guys go visit (read: spam) phorum, or w3t - that's your competition, not vBulletin.

-jim

Comment

sigh. I don't want to get in a flame war here but werehere made a statement about phpBB that I feel is patently untrue. JimF calm down and let him defend his postition on phpBB.

Comment

Uncle, I am actually very calm right now. I didn't intend to give the impression that I wanted a flame war, and I apologize if you took that the wrong way. My intent was to bring to light the fact that you are involved with the development of phpBB. If, to you, that is starting a flame war, then there is not much I could say or do to [i]not[/i] give the impression that I wanted a flame war.

I'm sure werehere will defend his position as soon as he gets around to reading this thread. Until then, I will continue to defend my opinion of phpBB versus vBulletin. I hope that will suffice.

-jim

Comment

One more thing to add - just now I wanted to download and install phpBB, just so I could give a more objective, educated opinion on the situation. However, I got a message saying that phpBB is not yet ready for public release, and that I should add my email address to the list to be notified when it is released.

So, comparing vBulletin to phpBB is impossible. vBulletin is a commercial, non-beta product with a large community that is growing both continuously and rapidly. phpBB is a beta, freeware script that has an unproven track record of support and a community, while seemingly filled with knowledgeable programmers, has just over 200 users.

There is no comparison between vBulletin and phpBB. They are different products, with different intents, and different markets. They may share similar features and styles, but aside from that, you can not fairly and accurately compare them.

-jim

Comment

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Uncle [/i]
                            [B]sigh. I don't want to get in a flame war here but werehere made a statement about phpBB that I feel is patently untrue. JimF calm down and let him defend his postition on phpBB. [/B][/QUOTE]

Defend my position? I do not have to defend anything I say about your product, and furthermore I found many bugs in your software.

If you would like me to elaborate on that, then you can do so over email with me when (or if) I have time to do so. This forum is not for de-bugging your forum software!
                            We're Here Forums!
                            [email protected]

Comment

Uncle,

I have deleted your post. Please be civil in these forum if you wish to participate!

Now I stated that it has bugs, because I found it to be so. I am not trying to bash your product, only stating what I found to be true.

I am now closing this topic because some people could not keep it civil.
                              We're Here Forums!
                              [email protected]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X