X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooper
    replied
    Midge,

You should be able to host what you are asking for, for around $25.00 to $30.00 per month on a virtual server (not dedicated) unless you go over in bandwidth. If you are just getting started you will not go over in bandwidth. Look for an account with say around 20GIGs of bandwidth per month. Or a little less maybe. Should do it to start off or until you become a thriving online business ready to take the world by storm. :D

Your idea with vBulletin is fantastic and again a wise choice. You just need to sort the direction your taking out. I understand. I've been there. And if it makes you feel any better, I have a degree in computers and had all sorts of mess ups trying to get a site for myself. :rolleyes: Trial and error can be costly! :mad:

And Hooper still struggles to learn....;) That's why he visits the forums often. Gains wisdom from knowledgable beings....:D

I just found a link to one of my postings. This should give you some of the info you need.

[url]http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17401&highlight=hooper[/url]
    Last edited by Hooper; Mon 28 May '01, 5:58pm.

Leave a comment:

• Midgie
    replied
    Hooper, can you give me an idea of what a reasonable amount is to pay for a hosting site with the Real Player and MySQL Servers?

I've no education whatseover in computers, but did figure out how to build my own website, etc. Now I'd like to add a bulletin board just for the use of family and friends where we can all socialize in a safe place. I don't want to pay any more than what I'm already paying, though. It's getting quite expensive, but I don't want to lose the money now that I just paid today for the vBulletin license and installation.

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    I paid for a year 3 times and moved. They gave me a refund for what I didn't use. I always pay for a year wether I stay or not. With the exception of my current host that I pay monthly.

You can get a refund and move if you chose to. Sure it is a pain in the royal ass. But what good is a hosting company that nickel and dimes you to death. What you have paid and the amount of time you paid for means little. They have to refund what you don't use. Or at least they are supposed to. It's called proration.

As I have stated. I have been down a hard road trying to learn all of this without asking for help. If I can at all help you I certainly will.

MySQL can be expensive if you have the wrong host. Example:

The "Unmentioned Host" charged $10.00 per database with a limit of 10megs per database on a dedicated mysql server. In other words, any meg over 10 resulted in another dollar per meg. So if you had a 100Meg database, you would be paying just under $100.00 just for the mysql.

The host I am at now has the mysql installed within my account. I have half a gig of HD space or 500M. I can use this space up to 500M if I want for my site, mysql db, etc... It is all included in what I pay.

This is what I am trying to explain. There are many hosting companies who charge extra for mysql and php. Heck with them. These items should be standard with every hosting package regardless of the package. It all boils down to finding a host that will give you your monies worth.
    Last edited by Hooper; Mon 28 May '01, 2:04pm.

Leave a comment:

• Midgie
    replied
    Thanks, Hooper, but I just paid $604./yr for my hosting site in March, so will have to wait to change hosts till next year. Is it usually expensive for a MySQL Server?
    I can't get any information today because it's a holiday, but I'm anxious to know.

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    Midgie,

Your Forums Community options are very limited without a host that supports MySQL/PHP. I was hosted by a top 10 hosting company that nickel and dimed me to death over the MySQL/PHP accounts. I moved to another host to be able to use vBulltetin I like it so much (as opposed to the other name brand community software). As I say, your options are limited with a standard cgi access account with any host you go to. UBB uses cgi for forums, but If you are looking for someone to help with direction, someone who has been down the road you are on, Smachol above and myself left UBB around the same time and purchased vB. For the same reasons I might add. I would advise that you get a host that has the PHP/MysQL as part of your monthly package. vBulliten is by far superior to standard cgi forum software of any brand at the moment. You should be able to find a host that has everything you need to run vB for next to nothing more than you are paying. In Fact, I am paying less now than I did with the TOP 10 host that nickel and dimed me to death. Don't switch software. Switch Hosts. You'll find yourself happier in the long run. That is my opinion. The one thing I am sure of is that you made a wise choice with the purchase of vBulletin. You may want to take some time to think things through before you decide to pitch vBulletin because of a MySQL/PHP situation. That can be resolved in a day.

As far as free hosting goes, just like vBulletin, you get what you pay for. There are hosting packages with many hosts that are more than reasonable for you to start with. I wouldn't even recommend looking for a free host simply because I didn't find one that was truly free. Always a catch of some sort. Either max concurrent connections set to next to nothing or so dog slow it was irritating. And most certainly didn't have mySQL and PHP installed. Some do. But again, this is just my opinion. ;)
    Last edited by Hooper; Mon 28 May '01, 2:03pm.

Leave a comment:

• Midgie
    replied
    Hi Ed, they do support MySQL, but I guess I don't have it with the package I have with them. Are there free hosts that support the bulletin board?

Thanks, Midgie

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Midgie [/i]
    [B]Ed, I just called my host and they said I don't have MySQL. Now what? Can I get a refund?

Thanks, Midgie [/B][/QUOTE]

I can't speak for Jelsoft but I believe their documentation clearly states that it's the responsibility of the buyer to make sure their host can support the requirements prior to making the purchase. In fact. that's what the 'lite' version is supposed to be for - to test things out before buying.

You should seriously consider changing hosts. Any host that doesn't support mySQL is probably behind the times in many other aspects as well. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Midgie
    replied
    Ed, I just called my host and they said I don't have MySQL. Now what? Can I get a refund?

Thanks, Midgie

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    You will have to contact your host to get your MySQL connection details -- it's literally impossible for us to tell you what they are.

Leave a comment:

• Midgie
    replied
    PS James didn't request the information I sent him. I just read another note here where he requested the information from someone else, so I sent him that information, too.

Leave a comment:

• Midgie
    replied
    Thank you. I sent an e-mail to James with the information I think he wanted. Not sure what MySQL details means, though. Could you check the e-mail I sent him to see if I sent the correct information?

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    1st time installation means that you provide your MySQL details, login details, where you want the board to go, and (if you have one) UBB info and a Jelsoft rep (Martin, I believe) will login and install it for you.

Leave a comment:

• Midgie
    replied
    I just purchased a year's license and 1st time installation. I have NO idea what I'm doing. :confused: Does 1st time installation mean somebody will get this up and running on my website for me? Also, what version am I supposed to download? Does the year's license mean the full version or the free version 1.1?

Thanks, Midgie

Leave a comment:

• vbulletin.com
    replied
    help with installation

If you need help in the installation I would gladly help you with it. Note however, I am pretty new to this and make no guarantees, but I will do my best to assist you.

Leave a comment:

• Kewlphper
    replied
    Thanks Kier for helping us out! I appreciate all the help you have provided and going to get it set up now to see how it turns out, thanks! :)

Kewlphper

Leave a comment: