Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James, thank - good to hear the unlimited sub-categories is in that trully makes my day trust me

Guys, the co-branding has been discussed quite a lot - ten-tenths.com is the person who asked quite a lot about it i think. The idea is that you can basically put your forums on someone elses site with their design probably using something like

http://www.theirwebsitename.yourdomain.com if you see what i mean. It will need a new set of styles and templates etc (currently) but it seems there may be a new way to do it which would be very very useful.

Anyway, thanks again James - please keep us informed of any slipages or how the code is going.

Chris
    Christopher Padfield
    Web Based Helpdesk
    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• Private messaging (with code back end for future possible "hotmail" style email system)
        Very nice I *really* love the idea of integration into a free internet email account as well, I've been offering free email and it really does help with site "stickyness"
      • Polls
        Another wonderful feature!
      • Improved Usergroup/Moderator management
        Sounds good
      • Revamped template system (with instant co-branding)
        I think this has some nice potential, especially since I can "share" my forums with other related sites, really a win-win situation for all
      • Database access optimisation
        Much needed and I'm very glad to hear this is being addressed!
      • Improved email confirmation method
      • Updated control panel organisation / design
        These both sound good
      • Sub categories (to an unlimited depth)
        This is very nice, especially for those boards which have a very large number of forums
      Thanks for the update on planned features.... I really can't wait!

-Chris

Comment

Yea thanks for filling us in

Dont forget about this thread though!

~Chris

Comment

Originally posted by TechTalk
          Dont forget about this thread though!
          I really like your list there, hopefully some of them might be included in the release as "surprises" or soon after the release. I know one I'd still really like are the attachments, and the thread bookmarking.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Aquamarine
            Something confuses me though... what is that "co-branding" feature all about? I'm totally lost on that one.
            Co-branding is what I have been hoping for, for a long time

Put simply it allows multiple template sets for your forum - allowing you to sign up sites as affiliates and present the forums in their site style rather than your own (actually, that's not very well described - it allows you to serve up your forums in multiple styles) This is a similar feature to DMOZ - the central database is shared, but you can view it in a number of styles, depending on which site you view it on.

I don't know how this will work, but I would imagine that there would be a feature in the control panel where you can add a new affiliate site. You could then set forum styles, adjust templates, set which forums are visible, etc, etc. for each affiliate site.

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
              Guys, the co-branding has been discussed quite a lot - ten-tenths.com is the person who asked quite a lot about it i think. The idea is that you can basically put your forums on someone elses site with their design probably using something like

http://www.theirwebsitename.yourdomain.com if you see what i mean. It will need a new set of styles and templates etc (currently) but it seems there may be a new way to do it which would be very very useful.
              Oops, did I make /that/ much fuss ?

I hope that we do not need to use the subdomain method to force the alternative templates to display - i've seen this done elsewhere, and it has the unfortunate side effect of the visitor to log in for each and every site they might happen to visit the forums from. Much better to go to something like http://www.yourdomain.com/forum/inde...yle=affiliate1 or something along those lines.

Comment

(with code back end for future possible "hotmail" style email system)

That's cool!

Do you think that we will be able to import other systems into it? We're installing EMUmail right now. I really don't want to wait around before I add email for my users. I'm a little worried about the conversion process if I go ahead with EMUmail right now though and want to migrate to your solution in the future.

Comment

Well, on that ?affiliate=1 problems are:

1) The site that uses the link will not see it as their own part of their site but more as an affilaite i would think.

Better then would be

http://www.domain.com/directory/index.php

i think.

Also, how are emails going to work? I hope that email notifications send people to the board they were visiting when posting.

Anyway, not much point second guessing i suppose. But just wondering.
                  Christopher Padfield
                  Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

Hotmail style mailing... hmm... must... beat... John... with... that... one... I posted about it a while ago and talked to John about it and we were basically in agreement with the methodology.

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                      Well, on that ?affiliate=1 problems are:

1) The site that uses the link will not see it as their own part of their site but more as an affilaite i would think.

Better then would be

http://www.domain.com/directory/index.php
                      No - that has the same problem in that the cookies will not work. Unless, of course, the cookie setup is revised.

Comment

Really, would it not be easy enough to change the cookie code to do that? I know that cookies only work on the domain that they are set up on, can they be used on multiple subdomains or will a cookie set on http://www.sub.domain.com now work on sub2.domain.com ? sorry i guess i should look that up myself..

If you can't i would much prefere the /folder/ option - it would only require a little more space to replicate copyies of showthread etc files there. I assume it will not be done this way however but hope it will be possbile to change it so that it is. I know if i was going to use someone elses board on my site i would be so much happier to link to http://www.domain.com/mysitename than http://www.domain.com/forums/index.php?site=mysitename - it is still just linking to "our site" but the first option makes it look like it is still more part of my site. Anyone who sees the index.php?= rubbish is going to have 2nd thoughts i would think.

Well, just ideas.
                        Christopher Padfield
                        Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

You could manually setup a subfolder, put index.shtml in it, and use an SSI call to index.php?affiliate=01.
                          Jake Lawson
                          Owner, Peterborough Web Design & Development: Total Internet Solutions

Comment

good plan, that would solve it. I think i will go for that option if they do do the affiliate?=x option. Thanks for the suggestion.
                            Christopher Padfield
                            Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

Originally posted by John
                              Apologies for the lack of response. Co-branding will be in the next version. Apart from that, I would rather not say so as not to disappoint anyone if a feature has to be left out for whatever reason. I keep an eye on the hacks forum for potential hacks to include in this next version though.

John
                              Er sorry--but what is co-branding?
                              "The best time to sleep is just before waking up."

--Shoebuddy Jones

Comment

Er, duh! Read the above...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X