X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrispadfield
    replied
    Well, on that ?affiliate=1 problems are:

1) The site that uses the link will not see it as their own part of their site but more as an affilaite i would think.

Better then would be

http://www.domain.com/directory/index.php

i think.

Also, how are emails going to work? I hope that email notifications send people to the board they were visiting when posting.

Anyway, not much point second guessing i suppose. But just wondering.

Leave a comment:

• Troy Roberts
    replied
    (with code back end for future possible "hotmail" style email system)

That's cool!

Do you think that we will be able to import other systems into it? We're installing EMUmail right now. I really don't want to wait around before I add email for my users. I'm a little worried about the conversion process if I go ahead with EMUmail right now though and want to migrate to your solution in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Craig A
    replied
    Originally posted by chrispadfield
    Guys, the co-branding has been discussed quite a lot - ten-tenths.com is the person who asked quite a lot about it i think. The idea is that you can basically put your forums on someone elses site with their design probably using something like

http://www.theirwebsitename.yourdomain.com if you see what i mean. It will need a new set of styles and templates etc (currently) but it seems there may be a new way to do it which would be very very useful.
    Oops, did I make /that/ much fuss ?

I hope that we do not need to use the subdomain method to force the alternative templates to display - i've seen this done elsewhere, and it has the unfortunate side effect of the visitor to log in for each and every site they might happen to visit the forums from. Much better to go to something like http://www.yourdomain.com/forum/inde...yle=affiliate1 or something along those lines.

Leave a comment:

• Craig A
    replied
    Originally posted by Aquamarine
    Something confuses me though... what is that "co-branding" feature all about? I'm totally lost on that one.
    Co-branding is what I have been hoping for, for a long time

Put simply it allows multiple template sets for your forum - allowing you to sign up sites as affiliates and present the forums in their site style rather than your own (actually, that's not very well described - it allows you to serve up your forums in multiple styles) This is a similar feature to DMOZ - the central database is shared, but you can view it in a number of styles, depending on which site you view it on.

I don't know how this will work, but I would imagine that there would be a feature in the control panel where you can add a new affiliate site. You could then set forum styles, adjust templates, set which forums are visible, etc, etc. for each affiliate site.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Schreiber
    replied
    Originally posted by TechTalk
    Dont forget about this thread though!
    I really like your list there, hopefully some of them might be included in the release as "surprises" or soon after the release. I know one I'd still really like are the attachments, and the thread bookmarking.

-Chris

Leave a comment:

• TechTalk
    replied
    Yea thanks for filling us in

Dont forget about this thread though!

~Chris

Leave a comment:

• Chris Schreiber
    replied
    • Private messaging (with code back end for future possible "hotmail" style email system)
      Very nice I *really* love the idea of integration into a free internet email account as well, I've been offering free email and it really does help with site "stickyness"
    • Polls
      Another wonderful feature!
    • Improved Usergroup/Moderator management
      Sounds good
    • Revamped template system (with instant co-branding)
      I think this has some nice potential, especially since I can "share" my forums with other related sites, really a win-win situation for all
    • Database access optimisation
      Much needed and I'm very glad to hear this is being addressed!
    • Improved email confirmation method
    • Updated control panel organisation / design
      These both sound good
    • Sub categories (to an unlimited depth)
      This is very nice, especially for those boards which have a very large number of forums
    Thanks for the update on planned features.... I really can't wait!

-Chris

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    James, thank - good to hear the unlimited sub-categories is in that trully makes my day trust me

Guys, the co-branding has been discussed quite a lot - ten-tenths.com is the person who asked quite a lot about it i think. The idea is that you can basically put your forums on someone elses site with their design probably using something like

http://www.theirwebsitename.yourdomain.com if you see what i mean. It will need a new set of styles and templates etc (currently) but it seems there may be a new way to do it which would be very very useful.

Anyway, thanks again James - please keep us informed of any slipages or how the code is going.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    great stuff i mean the pm and polls are going to be a big hit with all users for sure ... i am also wondering what the cobranding feature is ?

Also i hope that the next release will allow admins to be exempt from certain options/restrictions such as flood control, displaying html when html is off, sig length unrestricted while a sig limit is imposed per forum.

I have some roleplaying forums where participants wish to only have sigs turned off for those RPG forums.

Will rangersfan's search display blue arrows be incorporated ? so to show the jump to new post unread and jump to last new post icons be displayed in search results ?

Originally posted by James
    Hi Chris,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

At this time I can confirm that the following features will be implemented in the next version:
    • Private messaging (with code back end for future possible "hotmail" style email system)
    • Polls

Note: This isn't a comprehensive list - we do have several other "killer" features planned for the update.

At present I'm not prepared to commit to a particular release date - however, we hope to have the new version code completed within a month... it will then be another couple of weeks of internal testing and tweaking before we release the final version officially.

All the best,

James

Leave a comment:

• Aquamarine
    replied
    At this time I can confirm that the following features will be implemented in the next version:
    • Polls

Absolutely cool! Thanks for updating us.

Something confuses me though... what is that "co-branding" feature all about? I'm totally lost on that one.

James, I just had an idea about templates. There have been some issues about vB using 12-18 sql queries on the template table just to get the main forum page to show. Well here's my idea how you can cut that down completely:

Instead of storing each and every template fragment (ex. forumbit, footer, fivelinks, etc...) in a separate entry, you can combine them into "forumdisplay", "showthread", "reply", "post", or whatever instead. The current fragment variables will still be there, but when you update, say... "footers", the admin will actually go through and replace all occurrences of "$footer" in all templates with the actual text.

When $footer is replaced in, say "mainforum", there should be a marker placed there:
    example:
    <!-- vb:$footer start --> to mark the start
    <!-- vb:$footer stop --> to mark the end

Ok, so now suppose admin wants to edit the "mainforum" template. The admin script should go in and parse out everything between markers like:
    <!-- vb:$footer start --> blahblahblah <!-- vb:$footer stop -->

and replace it with $footer.

Seems nice and dandy so far (i hope). But what about if a template contains a variable to another template? What if a template contains a variable to a variable that changes often (not a template, but a variable such as $numberthreads)? How will it know what to replace and what not to replace?

Well on this one I'm pooped (yeah, in fact, I'm info pooped!) since I've not investigated the code in depth. But one thing you can do is use a different token for templates and another for variables.

$blahblah for variables
    $template:blahblah for templates

What I'm proposing here, basically, will be completely transparent to current users. Everything will be in the backend, performing its magic. And if accomplished right, will increase performance quite a bit while remaining just as easy to change templates as it is now.

Leave a comment:

• James
    replied
    Hi Chris,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

• Polls

Note: This isn't a comprehensive list - we do have several other "killer" features planned for the update.

At present I'm not prepared to commit to a particular release date - however, we hope to have the new version code completed within a month... it will then be another couple of weeks of internal testing and tweaking before we release the final version officially.

All the best,

James

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Yea, I would love to get an update on things please, Im dying over here

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    Rest assured that the update *will* be worth waiting for. I will be in touch with John to get an updated schedule posted in the next day on two.

All the best,

James [/B]
    If people want me to shut up about this just say but....

James, you said we would get an updated schedule in the next day or two. That was two weeks ago now.

People really need to know what is going on here, lots of websites depend on this software and the upgrade is a necessity for many of us. I for one are postponing updating the board waiting for the update.

Can we have some info, please, on what is happening. Is this John's full time job or more of a hobby type thing cos it has been ages since the last release with no updates since then!

Anyway, hoping we can get just some idea of how long (a realistic one this time!) it is going to take and also some indication of why it is so far behind. We can acccept delays and problems but just don't keep us in the dark anymore please!

Thanks

Chris

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    Well i think it was meant to be "the summer", then it got delayed by about 5 weeks i think (see originial post) but now it has been announced that it is going to be delayed again. So now, we have been pretty much kept in the dark about it but I would guess by the end of the year.

Leave a comment:

• Intec
    replied
    I dont heard about times for this fine releases? Can now you say anything about this? It would be fine to plan the next changes for our board?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X