Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update on next version

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    I'm afraid not since I see mention of "template system overhaul". Between that and "usergroup rewrite" we may have to re-do our templates and re-vise our hacks. If the board works better for the changes then I'm all for them though.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by James
      Saying that, I can confirm that several of the features that have been most asked for will be implemented - for example: private messaging and polls. We are also planning a revamp of the templates system and usergroups (improved support for moderators).

      James
      i'm happy... the 2 major features i have been wanting are going to be in the next release ... i think it's the only 2 hacks i haven't added lol

      will the next release be able to allow the admin (me) to choose which moderators can view which private forums ? i'd like to be able to say this mod can view this private forum #1 and this other mod can only view private forum #2
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

      Comment


      • #63
        Eva, you can do that now. It's kinda convoluted how you go about it, but basically, you create the forum and then exclude those mods you DON'T want to be able to view it using the usergroups forum permissions. I forget exactly how I did it, but I set it up so that Kathy and I and a few other mods can see the "admin" forum, but noone else could--not even some of our mods.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Susan
          Eva, you can do that now. It's kinda convoluted how you go about it, but basically, you create the forum and then exclude those mods you DON'T want to be able to view it using the usergroups forum permissions. I forget exactly how I did it, but I set it up so that Kathy and I and a few other mods can see the "admin" forum, but noone else could--not even some of our mods.
          oh yeah forgot about that heh ... but the only problem is you would have to put those other mods in a group of their own apart from the mods with viewing privileges..
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

          Comment


          • #65
            whoops... checked it out and all i needed to do is add a forum permission to the mod that i want to remove private forum viewing privileges
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

            Comment


            • #66
              A request that you may want to consider.

              PLEASE include the photoshop or editable versions of the buttons and non-logoed graphics. This would really help some of us who might want to change a few colors at the source, rather than edit gif / jpg files.

              Comment


              • #67
                I suppose some small changes made to your present templates will be necesarry, but I'm sure they'll be listed.
                - Insert viable disclaimer here -

                ArtBeast!

                Comment


                • #68
                  Perhaps the template overhaul means a change to the template system. Searching them, multi-language support, extended find and replace?

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    I dont heard about times for this fine releases? Can now you say anything about this? It would be fine to plan the next changes for our board?

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Well i think it was meant to be "the summer", then it got delayed by about 5 weeks i think (see originial post) but now it has been announced that it is going to be delayed again. So now, we have been pretty much kept in the dark about it but I would guess by the end of the year.
                      Christopher Padfield
                      Web Based Helpdesk
                      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by James
                        Rest assured that the update *will* be worth waiting for. I will be in touch with John to get an updated schedule posted in the next day on two.

                        All the best,

                        James [/B]
                        If people want me to shut up about this just say but....

                        James, you said we would get an updated schedule in the next day or two. That was two weeks ago now.

                        People really need to know what is going on here, lots of websites depend on this software and the upgrade is a necessity for many of us. I for one are postponing updating the board waiting for the update.

                        Can we have some info, please, on what is happening. Is this John's full time job or more of a hobby type thing cos it has been ages since the last release with no updates since then!

                        Anyway, hoping we can get just some idea of how long (a realistic one this time!) it is going to take and also some indication of why it is so far behind. We can acccept delays and problems but just don't keep us in the dark anymore please!

                        Thanks

                        Chris
                        Christopher Padfield
                        Web Based Helpdesk
                        DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Yea, I would love to get an update on things please, Im dying over here
                          Jake Lawson
                          Owner, Peterborough Web Design & Development: Total Internet Solutions

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Hi Chris,

                            Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

                            At this time I can confirm that the following features will be implemented in the next version:
                            • Private messaging (with code back end for future possible "hotmail" style email system)
                            • Polls
                            • Improved Usergroup/Moderator management
                            • Revamped template system (with instant co-branding)
                            • Database access optimisation
                            • Improved email confirmation method
                            • Updated control panel organisation / design
                            • Sub categories (to an unlimited depth)

                            Note: This isn't a comprehensive list - we do have several other "killer" features planned for the update.

                            At present I'm not prepared to commit to a particular release date - however, we hope to have the new version code completed within a month... it will then be another couple of weeks of internal testing and tweaking before we release the final version officially.

                            All the best,

                            James
                            James Limm

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by James
                              At this time I can confirm that the following features will be implemented in the next version:
                              • Private messaging (with code back end for future possible "hotmail" style email system)
                              • Polls
                              • Improved Usergroup/Moderator management
                              • Revamped template system (with instant co-branding)
                              • Database access optimisation
                              • Improved email confirmation method
                              • Updated control panel organisation / design
                              • Sub categories (to an unlimited depth)

                              Absolutely cool! Thanks for updating us.

                              Something confuses me though... what is that "co-branding" feature all about? I'm totally lost on that one.

                              James, I just had an idea about templates. There have been some issues about vB using 12-18 sql queries on the template table just to get the main forum page to show. Well here's my idea how you can cut that down completely:

                              Instead of storing each and every template fragment (ex. forumbit, footer, fivelinks, etc...) in a separate entry, you can combine them into "forumdisplay", "showthread", "reply", "post", or whatever instead. The current fragment variables will still be there, but when you update, say... "footers", the admin will actually go through and replace all occurrences of "$footer" in all templates with the actual text.

                              When $footer is replaced in, say "mainforum", there should be a marker placed there:
                              example:
                              <!-- vb:$footer start --> to mark the start
                              <!-- vb:$footer stop --> to mark the end


                              Ok, so now suppose admin wants to edit the "mainforum" template. The admin script should go in and parse out everything between markers like:
                              <!-- vb:$footer start --> blahblahblah <!-- vb:$footer stop -->

                              and replace it with $footer.

                              Seems nice and dandy so far (i hope). But what about if a template contains a variable to another template? What if a template contains a variable to a variable that changes often (not a template, but a variable such as $numberthreads)? How will it know what to replace and what not to replace?

                              Well on this one I'm pooped (yeah, in fact, I'm info pooped!) since I've not investigated the code in depth. But one thing you can do is use a different token for templates and another for variables.

                              $blahblah for variables
                              $template:blahblah for templates


                              What I'm proposing here, basically, will be completely transparent to current users. Everything will be in the backend, performing its magic. And if accomplished right, will increase performance quite a bit while remaining just as easy to change templates as it is now.



                              Comment


                              • #75
                                great stuff i mean the pm and polls are going to be a big hit with all users for sure ... i am also wondering what the cobranding feature is ?

                                Also i hope that the next release will allow admins to be exempt from certain options/restrictions such as flood control, displaying html when html is off, sig length unrestricted while a sig limit is imposed per forum.

                                I have some roleplaying forums where participants wish to only have sigs turned off for those RPG forums.

                                Will rangersfan's search display blue arrows be incorporated ? so to show the jump to new post unread and jump to last new post icons be displayed in search results ?

                                Originally posted by James
                                Hi Chris,

                                Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

                                At this time I can confirm that the following features will be implemented in the next version:
                                • Private messaging (with code back end for future possible "hotmail" style email system)
                                • Polls
                                • Improved Usergroup/Moderator management
                                • Revamped template system (with instant co-branding)
                                • Database access optimisation
                                • Improved email confirmation method
                                • Updated control panel organisation / design
                                • Sub categories (to an unlimited depth)

                                Note: This isn't a comprehensive list - we do have several other "killer" features planned for the update.

                                At present I'm not prepared to commit to a particular release date - however, we hope to have the new version code completed within a month... it will then be another couple of weeks of internal testing and tweaking before we release the final version officially.

                                All the best,

                                James
                                :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X